Boy Scouts of America in Bankruptcy

The vast majority of the cases were from the 60s, 70s and 80s. And that’s how things were done back then. Not just in the boy scouts, but in most aspects of society. See this post:

No.

It was never Christian. Only a belief in some sort of religion was required.

Punish them not the kids!

Most of the alleged abuse happened decades ago, and states have been changing laws to allow lawsuits related to old allegations:

Realize that laws have changed about same-sex abuse. Decades ago anti-sodomy laws applied equally to the adult and a child, and age of consent / statutory rape laws applied only to heterosexual relationships. Children who complained of abuse could have been prosecuted.

The Boy Scouts are hardly alone in have problems with sexual abuse, but they have the misfortune of being a private organization that can’t claim protection as a government agency and they have claimed to support traditional morality. Abuse in public schools is a much larger problem but is generally ignored:

Likewise, abortion clinics frequently ignore reporting requirements involving pregnancies as a result of child sexual abuse.

Not really, when i was in the scouts there were still portable electronic games i could have brought with me but didnt.

Sheesh. That… wow…

Not moot, at all.
Do they deserve to survive their bankruptcy is a better question. I don’t think they do.

Good Lord. BSA kept a secret Perversion Files.
" Confidential files on suspected pedophiles maintained by the Boy Scouts of America contain the names of 7,800 individuals, an attorney for child sex abuse victims said Tuesday.

The organization’s so-called “perversion files” have been previously disclosed through litigation but the number of alleged abusers had not been known, attorney Jeff Anderson, who represents former scouts who say they were sexually abused, said Tuesday."

The organization is filth.

Gotta love those traditional values.

1 Like

What I don’t understand is why?

Homosexuailty was looked down upon, held in contempt. Much more so than today.

Yet back then the predators were aided and abetted to continue their predation, instead of being thrown in jail. Just makes no sense to me… (Of course, I don’t think rape was taken seriously until just recently, either…)

1 Like

Can’t change history.

It was what it was.

I don’t see the point in agonizing over it. The question should be what various facets and organizations do with it now.

I’d like to know that, too.

Many refer to the Baby Boomers as the “Greatest Generation”.

How could they be when shaming adults interested in adult members of the same sex, but sweeping accusations of an adult forcing himself on a child under the rug?

It’s not a question of “agonizing”. It’s a question of puzzlement.

I suppose there are books on the subject…why did straight men look the other way in various organizations that were supposed to care for and protect kids…and let pedophiles (which are distinguishable from gay men, btw) have their way?

Whose worse, the pedophiles that sexually abused the kids, or the straights/non-pedophiles who facilitated its happening - over and over again?

1 Like

:roll_eyes: I don’t see the point in puzzling over it.

Can’t change history.

It was what it was.

The question should be what various facets and organizations do with it now.

What’s going to happen is that victims of the organizations that had staff that looked away and allowed pedophiles to trawl, are now going to get recompense for the abject failure of those organizations who sought to protect the pedophiles over the boys.

If that results in bankruptcy, so be it. No puzzling required.

I won’t cry over the loss of an organization who kept secret Perversion Files to document the filth these men were doing to boys. Sick freaks.

1 Like

I agree. Let them collapse. My brother was molested by a scout master when he was about 12. He didn’t tell anyone except me. I was about 16. There were probably 100 cases like that for every 2 that were reported.
That will happen with any organization full of kids being supervised on overnight trips by adults.

A post was merged into an existing topic: “Banning” For Expressing An Opinion

He absolutely did, under the Section 702 authorities of FISA, which does not permit targeting Americans for the things they sought.

It is not ignored and that article doesn’t claim it is. Teachers are arrested quite often.