Bloomberg News: European Alminum industry (autoparts) faces possible extinction due to energy crisis

Decades ago I was researching economic development opportunities in my area of rural Pennsylvania and learned that a LOT of industries I had not thought of as “energy intensive” are, in fact “energy intensive.”

• Brick making, Cement making
  • Steel making, Aluminum making
  • etc.

Anyway a Bloomberg analyst says that in Europe, Aluminum is a weak link, faced with a serious energy crisis Europe might temporarily cease aluminum production altogether. . . . aren’t auto parts made from aluminum?

It’s moving that way…but far from entirely.

My paramotor frame is aluminum. They must really want me to upgrade to the titanium one. :thinking:

That was the reason why Washington state had so many Aluminum mills, cheap electricity from Colombian river dams.

1 Like

The largest European producers of aluminum are Norway and Iceland, which are completely energy self-sufficient - all renewable energy, hydro and geothermal.

1 Like

The sad part is windmills and solar panels are not even green. They are toxic junk heading for the landfill. Yet, the climate change faithful, complete with their flood myth, are turning Europe back to pre industrial times with bad energy policy.

1 Like

European states, like Bavaria, that bet on fossil fuels and resisted alternative energy, are the ones getting squished the hardest by Putin’s thumb right now.

France’s nuclear failure was bad luck. But elsewhere, conservatives betting on cheap gas and coal rather than alternatives are reaping the consequences of bad energy policy.

Possibly relevant trivia. The South’s primary contribution to WWII, aside from oil, was aluminum thanks to TVA energy.

I am pretty sure that over there it is just like over here . . . 100% the opposite if what you say.

the loss came BECAUSE thdy bet on “green energy” by shutting their coal plants, txing and regulating the crap out out fossil fuels . . . as if “green enegry” is just over the horizon which it is not, and wishing it were “just a few years away” does not make it so.

The good new however is that envoronmental catastophe is also NOT just over the horiain. At least if you listen to scientists such as those at the IPCC that is what you believe.

Time after time the IPCC has concluded tht in one HUNDRED years the oceans will rise THIRTEEN inches . . . and yet evey day on the media and we read and ehar about entire communites being flooded (ahem thirteen inches 100 years in the future.

There is plenty of time to get things done without pumping up our egos and political rhetoric by falsely claiming “My god we need more taxes more regualtions more green energy now now now! Let’s bet the economy on it!” (Which is what the ruopoliticans did.)

Let their short-sighted poltiically drivien unscientific agenda be an example to us.

The exact opposite conclusion that Europeans themselves have come up with.

The UK has higher energy prices, comparative to other economies in Europe” said Sanjay Raja, the chief UK economist at Deutsche Bank. “The fact of the matter is the UK is more highly dependent on gas.”

There is widespread agreement from energy experts on the best solutions: a large-scale and rapid insulation programme and a faster rollout of wind and solar energy, which produce electricity that is currently about nine times cheaper than that from gas,

The UK also relied on gas to produce more terawatt hours of electricity in 2021 than any of the 39 European countries analysed by the thinktank Ember, except Italy. Electricity from gas is the most expensive for power and sets the price for all electricity, due to the current UK market structure.

That’s just silly! You have any articles to back up such poor logic? Even Hillary knew Putin was backing Greens in germany and europe so he could have the upper hand over their energy needs.

Real world evidence aside, it’s really simple logic. You cannot have energy security when the commodity your energy is reliant on can cost anywhere between negative dollars and a bazillion dollars based on the political whims of your enemies and market voodoo.

A snlge op-ed piece in a British tabloid is niether fact, nor the opinon of the european people.

Judging by their actual actions after they debated, considered all the alternatives inlcuding green energy . . . OTOH . . .

All three of the block qoutes had verifiable metrics.

The UK has higher energy prices, comparative to other economies in Europe”

The fact of the matter is the UK is more highly dependent on gas

which produce electricity that is currently about nine times cheaper than that from gas,

The UK also relied on gas to produce more terawatt hours of electricity in 2021 than any of the 39 European countries analysed by the thinktank Ember, except Italy.

Electricity from gas is the most expensive for power and sets the price for all electricity, due to the current UK market structure.

You have a picture.

A picture of another outrageously expensive commodity.

Betting on fossil fuels is costly.

Betting on fossil fuels would be costly** hupothetitclly if that is waht Europem did.

Instead what Europe did was to upset the apple cart going at a ridiculous speed toward “green” energy. That was the bet the placed, even the Green party there now regrets it.

Even the German Gren Party now endorses coal.

Please understand I am ot saying “enivronmentalism is wrong,”
I am saying “Her ein the US we ahve stupid ignorant fools who blindly believe in stereotypes they THINK are good for the envirnoment.”

I am siding with the IPCC.
I am siding with science. I am siding with the German Green Party

It is others who say “Uhh my third grade sterotype says that if the question comes up I have to give the same old same old answer.”

That’s literally what they did. They couldn’t resist the temptation of cheap natural gas. Now they’re paying for it.

The greenest states are the most energy secure right now.

Because it reduces their exposure to gas. It was bad policy to be that exposed to natural gas.

Alternatives are keeping energy prices down here in the United States. We would be more exposed to gas prices otherwise.

I think I am going to stick with the more conventional explanation,
the same one pon which
scientists
and the German Green Party
and European non Greens
have all agreed.

Eutope went too far too fast on its environmental agenda. Had it not been for Putin’s invasion of Ukraien, that might have been (only) expensive
but the invasion did happen and in fact
going too fast too far turned into a catastrophe.

People will literally die from this.