BLM's grant of grazing permit to Hammond Ranches Inc., issued by then Secretary of the Interior Zinke on his last day in office is revoked

OK…I’m reading up on an alternative hypothesis right now…combo of poorly watered lands and a misapplication of Eastern government land management policies in the West (mainly, divvying the land up into unsustainably small parcels like they did back east) seems to be emerging from what I am reading.

Which led to a history of it actually being easier for competing interests in the West to try and leverage government to get them what they wanted as opposed to seeing what would happen if the land was managed privately.

I’ll let you know when I’ve finished reading.

He should have renewed his permit for cattle grazing in 1993 and tried to sue within the system or something along those lines. Instead he grazed his cattle for five years “illegally” and let the issue fester.

It’s not that nobody wanted it, it’s that there was no way to do anything with it. Have to wait for infrastructure and technology to catch up.

Are you sure they didn’t try to work within the system?

I’m certainly not as well versed on the subject as you have become. Why didn’t he get a permit in 1993?

He felt it was unfair. I’m not claiming they are blameless, I’m claiming they were made desperate by their own government.

Why didn’t 100% of the DACA-eligible register on the multiple occassions they had the opportunity to do so?

Land management practices in the middle of the country extending East have ultimately led to consolidation under corporations and foreign owners.

“Private” land is romanticized by fools. Access to the public is stripped and often it isn’t even utilized.

Don’t ■■■■ with the west.

1 Like

I don’t dispute that at all, especially with Clinton just elected to office. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think however, that the permit was there for the taking.

Clinton was not the problem. The bureaucracy is.

Desert tortoise habitat. 1994.

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/public_lands/pdfs/GoldButteGrazingHistory.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjH9aLxhsfmAhVLbc0KHU2oAl0QFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2L3B4e7BzmNsBYY7dzoQiq

This is a timeline from a source biased against ranchers.

If you read through it and put yourself in a rancher’s boots…

2 Likes

There is a lot of private land in Texas, but the Trump Administration is going to court to try to seize some of it for the border wall.

Congratulations

I’m not so much angry as disappointed.

Interesting the difference between the attitudes about destroying The Noble Red Man’s culture as opposed to that of ranchers.

In one case it is genocide and in the other ■■■■■ them! Get them out of there so I can ride my tricycle to see the turtles!”

Not a very interesting subject, is it.

I actually do know much of the extended story.

And I am not shilling for the BLM, I certainly don’t support every action they have taken.

But in the end, the Hammond’s choose the route of confrontation. Yes, I understand things have happened to them that perhaps should not have happened in the past. But that does not justify the route they took. If the government was to give in and renew their permit, that would encourage every extremist in the west to rise up. Denying the permit will let everybody know, once and for all, confrontational tactics and arson will NOT be rewarded.

Bottom line, if they feel they have been aggrieved by the BLM, the federal courts are their ONLY option for seeking redress.

I certainly don’t stand with the Plaintiffs in this case, who frankly have pushed policies that have led to the situation we have now, particularly by stopping LAWFUL BLM sanctioned controlled burns. But they had standing to bring this case against the BLM and the limited outcome of this case, denial of Hammond’s permit, is acceptable.

Yes, city slickers have no idea the problems they cause for rural farmers. It seems they don’t care or want to hear what they have to say. And it plays out all across the country, not just out west.

3 Likes

That is an amazing post. Simply amazing. And it’s horse manure.

That one statement alone is worth the price of admission. It completely ignores 230 of American history.

Are you claiming you knew Hammond had permission for a fire for which he was later prosecuted and that there was a recording? For example.

Civil disobedience in the face of government oppression by petty bureaucrats is as American as it gets.

Rosa Parks, get your ass in the back of the bus, the judge king has ruled. Samuel Adams, don’t touch that tea! Sit ins in universities, you’re trespassing.

Anybody who refuses to submit shall be destroyed.

6 Likes

I would disagree with you here. The west is the west. I live in the east. I privately own several hundred acres over several States. All rural, all non-agricultural, most either old growth forest or regrown forest.

Some of that is pure hunting and recreational acreage, totally unimproved in any way. Some of it surrounds my two main residences. With all that excess acreage having one goal in mind, keeping the neighbors at a distance. :smile:

Moreover, private land ownership is one of the three key components of production, land, labor and capital. Capitalism (and thus civilization) cannot prosper in its absence.

The deal out west is that much of the west is a **** hole, undesirable for most purposes, while most of the east is a garden. :smile:

The BLM generally controls either useless or marginally useful lands. And fortunately, that means the BLM is mostly a western phenomenon.

In at least one of the cases for which Hammond was prosecuted, the fire was “sanctioned”.

Yeah…it got real ugly didn’t it?