BLM is now "protected government speech"

No dissent shall be tolerated in Joe Biden’s America.

“So here with adopting the messages that you’re adopting as government speech, you’re saying these are the messages that we’re communicating as a school district and by doing that we’re not also creating a forum to allow other types of speech to enter the forum,” John Edison, the RPS board attorney said.

By declaring certain phrases involving the Black Lives Matter movement as government speech, the board is protecting itself from legal action because it is allowing one type of speech, but not any speech in opposition to those phrases.

https://www.kaaltv.com/rochester-minnesota-news/rps-board-declares-black-lives-matter-government-speech/6088784/?cat=10151

Meanwhile, armed and aggressive BLM protesters are now taking to the streets with impunity. How will all of this end?

1 Like

The Rochester School Board article is interesting. They are looking at it as a legal issue, giving themselves authority to use phrases like “Stop Asian Hate”. I am not certain, by my guess is they would assert this authority if asked to stop using the phrases or if they are sued.

The school board is clearly picking a side here. Protecting themselves from groups or individuals who would take issue with school staff using those phrases.

IMO, if this is about covering their butts, they should have included “MAGA” and “You will not replace us” just to be safe. But my guess is that the school staff are not using those phrases.

1 Like

They are in effect making it clear that they have certain political beliefs and those can be stated but contrary positions to those beliefs cannot be expressed.
What cases they believe gives them some sort of immunity to any Constitutional free speech requirements, I have no idea. I would be interested to see that case made based on case histories.
It actually looks like throwing down the gauntlet to anyone who might want to say something like “all lives matter” or “blue lives matter”.

It is a good reminder that the important politics of the country start a the local elections, not the Presidency.\

I just checked the demographics of Rochester. It had changed by 2010 to 37.6% non Hispanic white and 41.7% black. So we basically have a majority population telling the minority population that their lives matter but you had better not make any claims yourself. So forget the local elections. Just leave.

“Over the course of the past 50 years, Rochester has become a major center for immigration, particularly for arrivals from Eastern and Southeastern Europe, sub-Saharan Africa, and the Caribbean. Rochester had the highest percentage of Puerto Ricans of any major city in the United States in 2013”

2 Likes

I sense another Portland in the making…