Black armed security guard killed by police while

How would they know you really are licensed to carry over the phone?

Can your cell phone prove to a 911 operator that you are LTC?

Can a cell phone prove to the cops rushing to the scene that you are a good guy and not setting a trap for them?

By looking up the number.

You can’t “prove” that any call for the police isn’t setting them up for an ambush.

This isn’t about getting them to ignore you, it’s about giving them the information ahead of time who you are, where you are, what you look like, and that you are armed so they don’t make a mistake.

Such mistakes are much more prone to happen when they are surprised.

I sure hope you never have to test out this action plan of yours because I’m afraid it just won’t work out the way you think it will.

It works out every time I’m pulled over just like it does for the millions of other licensed carry permit holders.

Cop approaches, I inform them I’m carrying, hand them my license, they run it and no problem.

The fact is we have such incidents daily in this country and yet cops overreacting and inappropriately shooting someone legally carrying are exceptionally rare as long as they have the necessary information to work with, aren’t surprised, and you comply with their instructions on arrival.

This shooting occurred because he refused to and they lacked the information necessary to properly assess and react to the situation.

Makes perfect sense.

And even telling the cops responding personally makes sense…its the calling 911 to ask them to let the responding LEO know that some guy on the scene in cargo pants says he’s armed, but promises he has a carry permit…part that I am wondering about.

That’s exactly how you are taught to handle the situation if you find yourself in same for your benefit and theirs and guess what? Yes, it works.

16-20 million people carry under permit and half again as many are carrying in constitutional carry states. They find themselves in these situations with some frequency but yet just as this thread points out these types of shootings are very rare.

Once again, had this guy followed this formula and complied with the cops when they arrived he’d still be alive.

You are taught in firearm training or CC training that if you are in a shooter situation, you should call 911 and let them know you are armed?

The first thing you do is report it to police, tell them what I have already laid out above.

I’m not going to repeat it all for you again.

Dec 2nd I did this exact thing. I pulled my gun on a family member and held them at gunpoint till the cops arrived. I told dispatch while I was holding the gun on them that I would holster it as soon as the cops arrived on scene and would turn it over to them while they asked thier questions if they wanted me to.

Know what they did? Just told me not to pull it out while they were there.

Because I know folks will ask I’ll tell the story. Several mistakes were made, but oddly one of the mistakes saved his life. Anyone not interested can ignore the following:

It was about 9:30pm and my wife and I had just sat down to a movie. The phone rings. It’s my wife’s brothers live in girlfriend.

She was crying and upset. He’s a violent drunk and drug abbuser and had decided he was going to drink that night. They were staying at my wife’s moms house that night because she’s old and needs care. He had been arguing with the girlfriend and had taken her keys so she couldn’t leave.

My wife and I go over there to try and talk some sense into him. It’s only about a mile from our house. We get there and the girlfriend sits in our car while we head inside to talk to him.

Whatever he had combined with the alcohol, he wasn’t interested in talking. He just wanted to argue and fight with anyone. I just sat on the couch not wanting to get in the middle of my in-laws family drama. Well the argument deteriorated and he started pushing my wife around.

At that point I got up and stepped in front of my wife and simply said he needed to ease off just a bit. Well I guess a guy standing in front of him meant “game on” regardless of what I said. Cause his only reply was “oh so you think you’re tough” and cane at me sending us both to the ground.

Bear in mind he’s your typical meth head. About 130 soaking wet, and I’m ex infantry and outweigh him by about 60 pounds. I wasn’t worried yet. We wrestled for a bit and I headlocked him and choked him out, purposely not wanting to do a lot of physical damage.

I called the police then. But my in-laws didn’t want him getting arrested because he was on probation. A major mistake of the evening was listening to them and hanging up.

We he recovered and started getting agitated again pacing all over the house. During one of the laps he was making of the house he picked up a large chain someplace and started swinging it around in my wife’s direction like he was going to hit her with it.

That was my red line. I backed away and drew my gun on him, ordered him to drop the chain and get on the other side of the room. He did both those things…but what happened next had me stumped.

It actually is kinda like in the movies. After he went to the other side of the room where I told him to go, he fumbled in his back pocket. And that’s when time seemed to slow down. I see him pull out a big folding knife and flick it open. In the slow motion he started taking steps across the room coming at me.

My finger is now pulling the trigger and the hammer of my gun is going back to fire. Suddenly I have to abort my shot.

That was the moment my wife decided to try and protect me by stepping between a guy on drugs with a knife, and a guy with a gun. All I can say is he must not have been far enough gone to want to stab his sister because she blocked him and redirected him out the front door.

This is now the time I called the police, didn’t hang up, and kept my gun on him outside until they arrived. Even though it saved his life, the cops thoroughly dissuaded my wife from thinking that getting between two weapons was any sort of good idea and I’ve reinforced that after the fact.

Other mistakes that were made that night.
-police should have been called before we even left our house.
-shouldn’t have been talked out of calling them after we fought.
-shouldn’t have gone easy on him in the fight, it just encouraged him to try again with a weapon.

But the oddest thing about the situation is the fact that someone doing what they shouldn’t do saved a life. If my wife had done the “right” thing he would have been shot. Even though it would have been a justified shoot it’s not what I wanted.

I’ve heard the same line from several DPS officers, “You keep yours holstered and I will too”.

Funny how many experts we have on the subject with absolutely no clue what it’s like to be legally armed interacting with police.

I was looking for some information in Lubbock Last week, see an LPD cruiser pulled over at a sandwich shop. Walk in, see a really cute, tiny and I do mean tiny little Spanish Female cop, and walk up and introduce myself.

First thing I said is "Ma’m I’m XXX xXX friend of Sgt XYZ, before you notice and get nervous yes I’m carrying and yes I’m legal.

Immediately any apprehension she had was gone, invited me to sit down and we talked for about 10 minutes parting friends.

Two weeks ago one of our new locals pulled me over for a “dim license plate light”, same routine, just told him I was carrying as I gave him both licenses and introduced myself.

Five minutes later he was asking if he could examine the revolver I was carrying because he had an interest in them so I turned away from him, drew it, removed the shells, all while he could see everything, handed it to him.

A couple of days later he came by asking if he could see my revolver collection.

I’ve had similar interactions with DPS officers, Sheriffs and Deputies as well as locals all over the state in the last thirty years including a couple of pretty serious incidents I had to call them in on.

Never a problem with any of them.

Yes there are some bad cops out there, some scared cops that really shouldn’t have either a badge or a gun but they are the rare exceptions.

Shootings like the one in the OP are exceptionally rare and almost always boil down to the same thing as this one did, cops were not given proper information before arriving and the “subject” failed to comply.

Holy ■■■■■

What a story.

So glad you kept your cool. While you admit to some mistakes…I don’t know…sounds like to me you handled it all pretty damn well.

Yeah I’ve never been a hothead when the adrenaline hits. It still trips me out thinking about it.

It’s the third time I’ve ever had to draw my weapon, but the first time I was actually pulling the trigger on a person. The other times just drawing the gun diffused the situation. 1st time was on two looters during hurricane Andrew in the late 90s. The second was on an irate homeless man trying to set up camp in the basement of my apartment building.

Interesting story. Great for you that you didn’t have to shoot him. Meth head or not, he is your wife’s brother. That undoubtedly would have had a major effect on your relationship.

And thanks for breaking that up into short paragraphs. That’s probably the longest post that I have read all the way through in years. :ok_hand: