Black actor beaten and almost lynched by mask wearing thugs

I can’t answer for Trigger, but I can’t agree.

Do you realize that would discourage people from reporting actual hate crimes?

A couple of months in jail is enough to literally ruin a person’s life. 10-20 years in prison basically ends your life.

If he thought he could get away with it, it’s only because he was playing to a crowd willing to buy it.

Now, let’s think for a second about what group has completely bought into lynch mob hoaxes in the past few years??

Gullible crowd or not, that’s still hella dumb because obviously police were going to conduct an investigation based on evidence.

I doubt that no matter how many times they play the victim card, and the racist
card, and the sexist card, they will never stop keep playing it.

After all, it’s all they have left. lol.

Attempted murder is not a “minor assault” and neither is any hate crime.

You’re still avoiding answering the question I see so let me repeat.

Instead of deflecting how about answering the question?

What hate crimes have less than a 10yr sentence?

List them and provide links.

How would this discourage anyone from reporting an actual hate crime?

If such a crime is committed there’s pretty much zero chance there will not be evidence to support the allegation.

No, it in no way whatsoever violates the 8th any more than “Hate Crimes” does.

The whole point is not only to punish appropriately the crime but to make it clear just how severe such a crime is.

The “ruining of their lives” is done by the offender, not the punishment.

These types of crimes deserve an extremely harsh sentence because of the intent behind them as well as the effects of same.

Sorry, but there will never be such long sentences for staging hate crimes. Luckily, prosecutors have more mercy than you.

Mercy? Yes I think it’s a wonderful thing to keep the penalties minimal so as to encourage more of them.

Let’s do the same with all hate crimes shall we? Limit the maximum punishment for a hate crime to six months and jail and a thousand dollar fine.

Sounds about right doesn’t it?

Why do you keep avoiding answering this?

Instead of deflecting how about answering the question?

What hate crimes have less than a 10yr sentence?

List them and provide links.

You probably weren’t in favor of the criminal reform bill that was just passed by both sides then.

I never said there should be a maximum penalty for anything. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Here you go. 11 years for one guy and and 4 years for the other. Sentences can probably be reduced. A lot less than the twenty years minimum sentence you suggested.

You might want to look a little deeper. The kid that got the 4 year sentence didn’t attack anyone, he was simply a passenger in the car and yelled racial slurs at the Mexicans while his buddy rant them off the road causing the crash and subsequent fire.

His actions were not even a felony.

Both still face possible prosecution on state charges as well and the driver likely will for vehicular manslaughter and/or attempted vehicular MS as well as reckless deadly conduct or however AR’s statute is written.

https://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/men-sentenced-for-hate-crime-in-arkansas/69814831

One year for threatening his neighbors with a noose.

Four years for threatening to blowup a mosque.

You never responded to my claim that a 10-20 years minimum sentence will and should never happen.

Again, in neither case was anyone attacked.

Why should I respond to your comment, it’s your opinion and has no basis in fact?

You said:

“In all seriousness There should be an especially stiff penalty for hoaxing any kind of a hate crime with a minimum 10-20 years in prison for a start.”

By your logic, faking a racial slur on your door should get you 10-20 years in prison.

I’d be perfectly fine with that but then I don’t think such an offense should be a hate crime to start with.

“Hate Crimes” charges should be reserved for the most egregious acts of hate, not vandalism.

How about this? Faking a hate crime should bring at least a minimum sentence equal to the sentence given for the offender in an actual hate crime?

I could live with that.

Now its a MINOR assault.

Not expecting anything. Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Many try to show how noble they are by taking the side of “Victims”. When they do that, they are quite often the aggressors themselves victimizing others. In this case, they were victimizing Trump supporters.

In the Covington case, they supported Nathan Phillips and victimized the children.

In the Kavanaugh case they supported Blasey Ford, and victimized Kavanaugh and even wife and kids.

However, if the victim is in a lower protected class than the aggressor, than the aggressor gets a pass.

I remember reading someone’s sig block on here a few years ago. They said something to the effect of “to the left, a woman who is victimized and raped is preferable to a woman who kills a man attempting to rape her” Again, they get to choose who is the victim. And it doesnt matter the egregiousness of the event, What matters to them is the color of the skin, or the sexual orientation of those involved.