Birth Tourism in Florida

So birth tourism is increasing in Florida from Russia. The quietness about this from the usual sources makes me wonder if previous complaints were more about the colour of the skin of people.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiHxY6p05nhAhUs5oMKHSsHCm0QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Ftravel%2Fdestinations%2F2019%2F03%2F22%2Fsouth-floridas-russian-birth-tourism-boom%2F3244087002%2F&psig=AOvVaw2_D9o8cIPPq-ImA9it5sfH&ust=1553478178252302

Fix you link. This is first Iā€™ve heard of Russians doing it. As for anchor babies that practice needs to endā€¦like yesterday regardless of race. But nice try thou playing your race card.

Not likely to get much from the ā€œUsual Suspectsā€ other than charges of Xenophobia.

I agree, there needs to be an end to birthright citizenship as it currently stands.

They have been doing it for a long time, they come when itā€™s close to time to give birth then the baby is an American.

Of course I am not sure what this has to do with skin pigmentation as the op is pointing out. I would be ecstatic if the border was secured enough that the number of people coming in from the south was equal to the amount of birth tourist Russians.

There is a reason people arenā€™t worried about it youā€™re comparing a couple of hundred wealthy Russians to literally millions that has flowed in from the South.

Iā€™m not even sure kids should get birthright citizenship when theyā€™re born in Florida. There are a lot of illegals in Florida. You canā€™t be too careful.

1 Like

Fancy Bear bot farms aren"t going to populate themselves. Nyet.

How does birthright citizenship work with diplomats? If Iā€™m not mistaken their children do not receive automatic citizenship.

And itā€™s stimulating our economy and reducing our trade deficit with Russia!

1 Like

Thatā€™s the whole ā€œand subject to the jurisdiction thereofā€ discussion arising from that phrase in the 14th amendment.
Most everyone agrees that applies to children of foreign diplomats.
Others think it also applies to children of illegal immigrants.

Seems to me it would take a change to the 14th to stop birthright citizenship.
As to birth tourists, couldnā€™t we just change the visa rules to disallow visas to women who could possibly give birth during the duration of their visas?
That wouldnā€™t work for all types of visas (e.g ā€˜workā€™), but maybe it might work for shorter ā€˜vacationā€™ visas.

ā€œHundredsā€ of Russian women pay to do it. Hundreds. Out of at least 11,000,000 illegals in the country. You think its not a huge story because of race? This race card thing is getting old.

But if the complaint is about birthright citizenship then, yes, it needs to end. The chief reason for that clause was so that old slave states couldnā€™t deny citizenship to the children of slaves. It has no place in the real world today and should be interpreted away just as abortion prohibitions were interpreted into the constitutions.

Surely some nice penumbras can be found.

And start with these Russian women.

Of course if we stringently applied our VISA and immigration enforcement laws, there would be so few cases of birthright citizenship to illegals that it would hardly be an issue of importance any more.

They donā€™t since they are here under the aegis of their govā€™ts. If I remember right the kids used to have a choice when they turned 18 of claiming US citizenship if they chose to but it wasnā€™t automatic. Similarly children born to US citizens abroad used to have a choice to make at 18 of which citizenship they wished to claim. The latter ended at some point in the seventies but I canā€™t remember when exactly.

22 million.

Nope. Jus sanguinis

This has been going on years. NYT has had several lengthy articles on the subject as itā€™s quite prevalent in NYC.

On the west coast itā€™s Chinese women who are coming over to have their babies here.

In Florida the Russians stay at Donaldā€™s places. How funny is that!

I think it already is. Have to de-codify jus solis.

The article says the Chinese and other countries are doing this on purpose too. I agreeā€¦the practice of anchor babies should be ended immediately.

I donā€™t disagree, particularly when it comes to ā€œbirth vacationsā€.

Maybe Trump should issue an EO.

There really is no comparing the immigration from the south to a few 100 Russians coming into the U.S. Youā€™re comparing a Tsunami to a drip from a leaky faucet. If the left is really this far gone from reality of the crisis at the border there is no hope (or desire) to stop it, just run on open borders.

2 Likes

No. How are the Russians illegals?

You left out some important bits.

U.S. Constitution - Amendment 14
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

By redefining people in the U.S. either illegally, or temporarily, to not fully be subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S. then you can make the argument their children are not citizens. This seems to be the logic used regarding the children of diplomats.

Whether this would stand up in court or not is another matter.