Big Sugar and Florida’s Bittersweet ‘Red Tide’

https://www.cato.org/commentary/big-sugar-floridas-bittersweet-red-tide

Cato has a good article on something that Conservatives, Liberals and Libertarians should agree on.

A way to help the environment, specifically the Everglades AND help consumers at the same time, while breaking up an abusive, government created and supported, cartel.

The Federal Government should immediately and unconditionally end the sugar subsidy program.

And if domestic big sugar can’t survive without, ■■■■ em.

And industry that cannot survive without subsidies on the scale of what big sugar is granted should not exist.

The food industry downstream from big sugar and consumers most of all will thank you.

As will the Everglades.

5 Likes

More spent on lobbying than any other industry I believe.

Kinda speaks for itself.

1 Like

Do you live in South Florida FY?
If so you know exactly what the ‘Glades effect is on the lakes, canals, the Intercoastal and the fresh water supply. It’s an issue that needs addressing and immediately. Florida Crystals is huge, they spread a lot of dough around to politicians. I give DeSantis props for taking them to task for the best interests of Floridians.

1 Like

Agreed. Unleash the affordable ethanol!

1 Like

Gov. Ron DeSantis vetoed Senate Bill 2508, which critics said would have strengthened the sugar industry’s claim on state water resources at the expense of the Everglades. Score the round Environment and Tourism 1, Big Sugar 0.

Look at him go!

I remember when sugar cane was big in southeast Texas and the Imperial mill was open in “Sugar Land”.

I’m cross posting your link.

Punta Gorda. I’ve been active in Everglades restoration efforts along with lots of folks from both sides of the political aisle, it’s fairly non partisan when push comes to shove, especially after the devastating algae blooms of several recent years. DeSantis has been pretty good on the issue, though he has dragged his feet some. FINALLY there is progress being made thankfully, water in Florida is a huge issue with so much of it being surface water.

There are no innocent players in this issue with nearly all politicians lining their pockets with money from big sugar in the past and some still fighting on the side of big sugar. It’s all about fertilizers getting into the fresh surface water and fresh rainwater being diverted from the Everglades where it is desperately needed. It would take pages to give a full description, but here is a couple links to the more effective groups fighting for the Everglades.

Good on you FY. We’ve been home owners in PBC for almost 13 years and finally closed shop up north and became full time Floridians last year. My wife is from Baltimore, we lived together there for 35 years; her family can trace their domicile to before the Civil War; all Marylanders all crabbers and fishermen. Maryland has been fighting off waterway contamination and trying to bring the health of the Chesapeake Bay back to some level of normalcy seems like forever. Upstream contamination from Pennsylvania and the Susquehanna River is a big contributor. It’s real and it’s time is long overdue in my opinion. We’re seeing a lot of folks moving to Florida. There are some basic needs for a population increase. Clean potable water, waste water facilities, sanitation and roadways for additional vehicle traffic. Then you get into schools, medical facilities and other support systems.
We really like our Florida. Here in PBC the traffic and overcrowded schools are already beginning to be apparent.

1 Like