Big Brother is Watching Your Children

MD School sends police to the home of an 11 year old boy because a teacher saw a BB gun in the childs room during on-line class.

How is this not an invasion of privacy and over-reach by the school and the police?

"Lancaster said that a school official phoned authorities because they were concerned over seeing a BB gun mounted on the child’s wall. The teacher reportedly took a screenshot of the child’s room and passed it along to the school’s resource officer, who turned the information over to local authorities.

Lancaster told WBFF that the school’s principal complained that the child having a BB gun in his room was like bringing a gun to school."

How’s this for some convoluted, moral busybody thinking

1 Like

what invasion of policy.

These kinds of stories are fascinating to me. First of all, this ultimately boils down to “people just doing their jobs.” The teacher sees what they think is a firearm in the kids room. They contact the resource officer, the resource offer contacts the police, the police check the house, they find out it’s a bbgun. Case closed. You could argue that the school should have just called the parents, and I agree to a point. The school can’t assume the parents know about the “firearm” or what will happen if the child is confronted about the “firearm”. So all and all … should we be outraged? Naw. If teachers think something is up with students, they need to report it following the correct protocols. Is it perfect? No. But it needs to happen.

What’s more interesting is how this story came to be. I 100% guarantee this mother tweeted out or Facebooked what was happening. The local Fox affiliate asks if they can use this for a story. The mom agrees, they get an interview. Everyone get’s fired up. The Blaze picks it up and then a much larger audience can get outraged. Then markdido creates a thread on Hannity about “big brother”. Totally fascinating.

6 Likes

What difference does it make what gun was hanging on his wall? Are there laws regarding how we decorate the rooms of our house? I really don’t know, I didn’t think there were.

3 Likes

Good Lord.

2 Likes

Horse ■■■■■

Did you even read the article?

1 Like

Our school district opted to not do any video meetings with students during the pandemic for just this reason. They felt like it would be an invasion of privacy for adult teachers to “see” into a child’s room.

1 Like

For whatever reason, the teacher/instructor was concerned about a firearm in a student’s room. They reported it.

What are you “horse ■■■■ ing?”

Yes. In fact, I read two articles.

Two problems. If no crime was being alleged, why did the police show up? Secondly, people need to assert their rights. She should have politely asked the officer what crime was being alleged. Then told him he can come back and enter when he has a search warrant. Don’t let anyone search your home simply because a teacher want’s them to.

3 Likes

Agreed. I’ve watched enough Law and Order to know this is true.

What laws were broken?

1 Like

What’s horse ■■■■ is your entire fictional second paragraph,

“What’s more interesting is how this story came to be. I 100% guarantee this mother tweeted out or Facebooked what was happening. The local Fox affiliate asks if they can use this for a story. The mom agrees, they get an interview. Everyone get’s fired up. The Blaze picks it up and then a much larger audience can get outraged. Then markdido creates a thread on Hannity about “big brother”. Totally fascinating.”

That’s not a teacher’s job. It’s not a teacher’s job to analyze and then to make assumptions on what is in a person’s home. Their job is to teach a particular subject.

2 Likes

Nope, why no one was arrested.
you don’t need to break the law for the cops to be called.

It is the same way a teacher need to report if a student is coming to school hungry or tried.

[quote=“CanadianJudo, post:16, topic:232077, full:true”]

Unlike most people here I worked in education. It all depends on what is in your contract with specified job responsibilities. The most prominent thing teachers are instructed to look out for is possible drug use. Even with that the prudent thing is to see if there is a pattern as well as to consult with others.

The police however, do need at least the suspicion of a crime to get involved. It’s not illegal for a kid to have a gun on the wall. No crime, none of the police business.

1 Like

On this, I wholeheartedly agree. So I am somewhat surprised that you take this position. You have a record on these boards of being so “Pro-Police” I expected you to say you would invite them in, thank them for being such wonderful officers and give them lunch. It looks like you are coming around to my way of thinking. :slight_smile: Imagine that!

The article says the teacher reported a bb gun. He or she knew what it was.