Biden wants to "codify Roe v Wade into law"

I’m thinking a law passed by Congress would try to supersede the 14th, depending on when you consider a fetus a person.

It should be an amendment.

on what grounds?

there has to be a federal question.

can the federal government make laws that override states laws.

the only thing scotus can do is make unborn fetuses person with rights.

Allan

Democrats have had chances but they don’t want to codify it. They need the controversy.

1 Like

That would be the end goal for anti-abortion activists. A federal law or amendment that enshrines personhood.

Just curious, when - since the Roe decision in 1973 - did the DEMs have the majority of the House, and over 60 votes in the Senate? Oh and the Presidency since a Presidental veto returns a bill to the Congress which then requires a 2/3rds majority to overturn.

Thank you.

WW

By the way it sure would be interesting if the Supreme Court actually had to decide on the concept of personhood. My guess is that this Court would punt and say its not a decision the court should adjudicate and leave it up to the legislature- effectively allowing the concept of personhood to stand.

It was never unfettered

1 Like

Repealing or exempting the filibuster would be a bad move by the DEMs, but then the DEMs aren’t that bright frequently snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

If they were smart they would rally against the restrictive abortion laws, prosecution of women crossing state lines, and criminal prosecution of women for getting illegal abortions but let them go into effect.

It would be painful, but they need to let it happen. As the effects become real, they would reap benefits in 2024, 2026, and 2028 in the long term.

Just say’n.

WW

2 Likes

I don’t think the amendment should be specific about abortion but rather a right to privacy.

This is what they should do… but they won’t.

Especially now that you have states trying to ban contraceptives too… that will push this whole thing over the edge

Well isn’t that the goal from both sides, determine personhood, and go from there, applying constitutional protections, etc…?

I will agree there needs to be a right to privacy amendment.

I disagree that right to privacy is a basis for abortion.

3 Likes

Yup this decision is gonna be a hornets nest for them ongoing for years and years.

The Supreme Court would have done conservatives an enomrous favor if they had just allowed the radical curtailing of Roe without actually killing it. This is gonna be a GOP nightmare cuz it just doesnt play well with most folks.

It hasn’t. But it has been proposed.

That’s an end around.

If congress passes a law, it is a federal question.

yep. sometimes its better to lose the battle and win the overall war.

would leave the filibuster alone and concentrate on the radical attempt at putting abortion providers in prison.

Allan

Is personhood enumerated in the constitution? Not their purview.

No- personhood is the idea that from conception an “unborn child” has all the same rights as any other citizen. Liberals have never tried to do anything like that- because its crazy.

Yes. Go take a government class.