Biden v Texas (final decision of the term)

BIDEN ET AL. v. TEXAS ET AL.

Held: The Government’s rescission of MPP did not violate section 1225 of the INA, and the October 29 Memoranda constituted final agency action. Pp. 8–25.

ROBERTS, C. J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which BREYER, SOTOMAYOR, KAGAN, and KAVANAUGH, JJ., joined. KAVANAUGH, J., filed a concurring opinion. ALITO, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which THOMAS and GORSUCH, JJ., joined. BARRETT, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which THOMAS, ALITO, and GORSUCH, JJ., joined as to all but the first sentence

And Biden gets a win on the final decision of the term.

And a loss for the country.

3 Likes

That’s how you know you guys actually care about federalism. How you chuck it the second it doesn’t get you what you what.

That needs some explaining. I don’t know what you’re talking about.

1 Like

Preliminarily, the majority decision seems to comport with the intent of the statute, but I am still reading this decision, so haven’t reached a final personal opinion yet. :smile:

That word doesn’t mean what you seem to feel it does.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksat.com/news/texas/2022/06/28/company-says-truck-with-dozens-of-dead-people-inside-was-cloned-according-to-report/%3FoutputType=amp

4 Likes

And what exactly are we to infer from just a link to a news article? Whats the point you are trying to make?

Far worse than any mass shooting. The open invite lured them in.

Being shot is humane. Seasoned and slow cooked in a sardine can…torture.

2 Likes

Sometimes posters will just say anything. Nice!

sort of, now the lower court gets to decide if it violated the APA. which in my mind is a wholly unconstitutional law to begin with.

1 Like

the problem here is there are three statutes, and taken together they provide a road map for how to handle illegal immigration. but the courts only look at one at a time.

1st, illegal immigrants must be detained.
2nd, from those detained, the administration may release them on a case by case basis if it would be a benefit to the country
3rd, they may be sent back to a third country to await a hearing

clearly the three statutes taken together create an orderly process (one trump followed)

Trump’s policy was permissible.

However, the catch is with point 3 and the word “may”. The statute says “may”, not “shall”, thus Biden was within his rights to rescind the policy, which the court so ruled.

Trump’s policy was permissible, but since the statute gives the executive discretion, Biden’s repeal of the policy was also permissible.

The only way to make a policy like Trump’s permanent is for Congress to amend the statute, changing “may” to “shall”.

i said taken together they outline a process. and they do. the problem is they don’t tie the three statutes together. if they did, the intent is clear. the courts however do exactly what you did, they look at one statute and rule on that disregarding the other statutes. and so long as they do, “may” rules. shall would be a better rule, but it wouldn’t change a thing, the administration still wouldn’t do it.

btw, i just read a portion of alito’s dissent in another thread. and he agrees with what i said. the statutes show the clear intent of the congress.

What do you think it is?

Almost as many dead as Las Vegas.

And sometimes they make complete sense. I would take a quick bullet over a slow roasting any day.

1 Like

So far 518 migrant deaths this year not including the 53 from the mass truck event.

Migrant deaths are on pace to eclipse Chicago single year record tally.

Define Federalism. All those mistaken dichotomies …