Bible study thread

“In those days, certainly not in a paper bag, but, as was common, in a small wicker basket as most Jews did in order to have something kosher to eat. (If traveling Jews carried these baskets, and the Apostles were traveling Jews, it is interesting to note and compare the number of these baskets that were filled at the end of the meal to then number of Apostles and also the number of completion.)”

Yes, it makes sense that others had brought food with them, and those 11 other baskets were likely donated to the boy by those who had been fed, who had already eaten their contents, and whose baskets had been already empty before the miracle, maybe the disciples, or maybe just other grateful diners. But maybe eleven other families went home with filled baskets.
And yes, the end result of the distribution of the word of grace (5 loaves) via the pairs of truthful witnesses (2 fish) would be a completed church (12 baskets full).
Maybe another message of the miracle is that even the most insignificant sacrifices by the most insignificant of donors given to Jesus contribute to the completion of the church.

" What I am imagining is that the crowd also had some well-to-do people, people who were also carrying as a matter of course food in their little baskets that probably had something more palatable than barley bread and pickled fish."

I suspect that the bread and fish were nevertheless the best tasting barley bead and fish the crowd had ever tasted - much like the wine at Cana was the best.

"Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father of lights… "

Andrew shows is faith and knowledge about the miracle that the prophet Elisha performed:

A man came from Baal-shalishah, bringing food from the first fruits to the man of God: twenty loaves of barley and fresh ears of grain in his sack. Elisha said, “Give it to the people and let them eat.” But his servant said, “How can I set this before a hundred people?” So he repeated, “Give it to the people and let them eat, for thus says the Lord, ‘They shall eat and have some left.’” He set it before them, they ate, and had some left, according to the word of the Lord.
2 Kings 4:42-44

Note that the first fruits is mentioned in Leviticus as a important festival soon after Passover:

. . . bring to the priest a sheaf of the first grain you harvest. He is to wave the sheaf before the LORD so it will be accepted on your behalf; the priest is to wave it on the day after the Sabbath. On the day you wave the sheaf, you must sacrifice as a burnt offering to the LORD a lamb a year old without defect . . .
Leviticus 23:10-12

Sounds like another parallel to the Eucharist to me.

John 6:10 And Jesus said,
“Make the men sit down.”
Now there was a lot of grass in that place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand."

This reminds me of Psalm 23.
"He makes me lie down in green pastures… "

I like that, Bill.in.PA.
We see many types of Jesus in the OT. But the real thing is always greater than the type. Jesus is greater than Elisha. Elisha fed 100 with twenty loaves. Jesus fed 5000+ with five loaves.

What I wouldn’t give to have been one of the disciples on the road to Emmaeus as Jesus pointed out all the foreshadowings of himself throughout the Scriptures.

I believe Jesus was raised from the dead on the feast of firstfruits, and on that Sunday, after speaking with Mary Magdalene at the tomb, ascended to the Father to be presented before the Father as the first-begotten from the dead, in accordance with the OT levitical law.

John 6:11 And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise the fish, as much as they wanted.

Jesus told them to make the people sit down, and food was distributed to those who obeyed. Does that mean those wandering around restlessly were not served?

Those who ate received not just as much as they needed, but more than they needed. In fact, it seems they wanted more than they could manage to eat.

"Would you like some bread or fish? "
"No, I would like caviar and croissants. "
Those who didn’t express a desire for the food on offer were not given any.

God’s word is what it is. If people would prefer it presented in a more palatable or interesting form from God, their only options are to accept it from God as given, or reject it from God as given.

When we demand God’s message according to some other recipe, there are plenty of cooks who will add this and that, and remove this or that bone, but we risk not getting God’s intended message, but some man’s ear-tickling souffle.

God sets the menu, we can only choose from what he is willing to serve. We don’t get to decide on and edit the menu of spiritual truth. Rev 22:18-19

John 6:12 when they were filled, he said to his disciples,
"Gather up the pieces that remain that nothing be lost. "

Has anyone experience Jesus supplying their needs miraculously?

Very soon after be coming a believer I was hitch-hiking through a town and stopped at a Christian book shop. I saw a Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance on sale, reduced from $99 to $20 because the cover was damaged. I said to Jesus
“Lord, that would be really useful for studying the Bible. But I don’t have any money left.”
In my mind someone said,
"Put your hand in your pocket. "
“Why? I have no money.”
“Put your hand in your pocket.”
When I did so, I pulled out a $20 note, and was able to buy the book.

Does this mean Jesus doesn’t like us wasting stuff? Or to take responsibility for losing other people’s stuff? Did he see it as the boy’s bread, and since they had borrowed it from him, they were responsible not to lose any of it, but to return it all to him with the interest God had added?

Doesn’t it rile when you lend something to someone and it comes back broken or not at all, and they expect you simply to bear the cost yourself. It’s my habit to point out the damage and to at least offer to cover the costs of repairs or replacement. On New Years Eve we built a small fire on a beach in Sri Lanka. A family nearby were lighting fireworks, so I asked to borrow their lighter for a few minutes to light our fire. In the process, their lighter broke, so I told him I would go and buy another at the nearby shops. I bought three. One for me and two for him, although he would accept only one. But plenty of people in my life borrow my stuff and break or lose it but say nothing, and I only discover the damage or loss when I suddenly need the item again.

John 6:13 Therefore they gathered them together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above them that had eaten.

“He who gives to the poor, lends to the Lord”

The boy had given to the poor, and so had lent to the Lord. And “the Lord is no man’s debtor”. A hundred-fold (?) return on the boy’s investment in the kingdom in a few hours.

Glad you resurrected the thread. I want to see it keep going.

Thanks.

John 6:14 then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, "This is, truly, that prophet that should come into the world. "

Which prophet are these men referring to?

" The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken."
Deuteronomy 18:15

" And there has arisen no prophet since in Israel like Moses, whom Yahweh knew face to face, in all the signs and the wonders, which Yahweh sent him to do in the land of Egypt to Pharaoh, and to all his servants, and to all his land, and in all the mighty hand, and in all the great terror which Moses showed in the sight of all Israel." Deut. 34:10-12

Thanks back.

John 6:15 “When Jesus therefore perceived that they were going to come and seize him by force, that they might make him a king, he departed again into the mountain himself alone.”

A forced coronation? How does that even make sense? But that’s what they had in mind.

Let me draw together a few texts here.

Gen. 16:13 and he said to Abraham, "Know for sure that your seed shall be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them, and they shall afflict them: four hundred years. "

Ex. 12:40-41 "Now the sojourning of the children of Israel, who dwelt in Egypt, was 430 years.
And it came to pass at the end of the 430 years, even the self-same day, it came to pass that all the hosts of Yahweh went out from the land of Egypt.

Acts 7:23-30 " And when Moses was full 40 years old, it came into his heart to visit his brethren the children of Israel.
And seeing one of them suffer wrong, he defended him, and avenged him the was oppressed, and smote the Egyptian:
For he supposed his brothers would have understood how that God by his hand would deliver them…
29 Then Moses fled at this saying, and was a stranger in the land of Midian…
30 And when 40 years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of Mt. Sinai an angel of Yahweh in a flame of fire in a bush."

Moses knew he was destined to deliver the Israelites, but Satan succeeded with Moses where he failed with Jesus. Satan used Moses righteous indignation at the oppression of his people to trigger Moses into action ten years early. The 400 years was not expired. This mistake gave the Israelites thirty extra years of bondage.

Jesus was tempted to shortcircuit God’s timetable. But he submitted to the Father’s timetable, and waited to be crowned after his death on resurrection Sunday.

John 20:17 Jesus said to her, " Touch me not: for I am not yet ascended to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.

Zec. 3 " And I saw Jesus the high priest standing before the angel of Yahweh, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. … Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments…
Take away the filthy garments from him…
Let them set a fair mitre upon his head…
For behold, I will bring forth my servant, the branch…
And I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day. "

Matt. 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, "All hail. "
And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

Jesus was not going to let men shortcircuit God’s path to victory. So he dismissed the crowd and began walking up the mountain. No doubt some followed and badgered him to reconsider, but he just kept on walking until the last follower could climb no more. Jesus stayed up above the madding crowd and prayed into the night.

The Day of the Lord was an historical event in time, not at the “end of time” (“end of time” is not a Biblical phrase).

Prophet Isaiah predicted that the Day in which the Lord would remove the filth of Zion and cleanse Israel would be the time of judgment upon Israel. Is 4:1.

This is also foretold by the prophet Zechariah as the time when Israel would look on the one that had been pierced and mourn. Zechariah also stated in 13 that “in that day,” - the day in which they would look on the one that was pierced, there would be great mourning. The mourning was not repentance, but judgment. The one they had slain was coming in judgment to avenge

Scripture calls the judgment of Israel for shedding the blood of God’s martyrs, “The Day of The Lord.”

Jesus said the guilt went all the way back to Abel, at the beginning of creation. He said "guilt for all the blood shed, “from the foundation of the world”, was laid at the feet of Israel.

Matthew 24 "…they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

John 5:19 "Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing; for whatever he does, that the Son does likewise. 20 For the Father loves the Son, and shows him all that he himself is doing; and greater works than these will he show him, that you may marvel. 21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will. 22 The Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him. 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears my word and believes him who sent me, has eternal life; he does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.”

Jehovah had come in judgment many times in the past. In times past, how had the Father judged? How had God’s Son seen His Father judge?

A few examples: At the destruction of Babylon by the Assyrians in Is 12…it was called “The Day of the Lord.” Jehovah rode on a “swift cloud,” and came into Egypt to judge the wicked. Isaiah 19. By the Medes, Is 13, it was called “The Day of Jehovah.” Jehovah coming against Babylon in Is 6. They were events in history. “The Day of the Lord was an event in history.”

Like Father, Like Son…On Clouds of Glory. That event happened in the first century 2000 years ago when Jerusalem was destroyed.

Hi, Piper. I’m unsure how you arrive at the conclusion that Zechariah saying “in one day” equates to “the day of the Lord”.

Paul. I don’t know how to separate the two. Read on down from chapter 3 to 14.

Zechariah 14:1 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. 2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. 3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. 4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which [is] before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, [and there shall be] a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. 5 And ye shall flee [to] the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, [and] all the saints with thee. 6 And it shall come to pass in that day, [that] the light shall not be clear, [nor] dark: 7 But it shall be one day which shall be known to the LORD, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, [that] at evening time it shall be light. 8 And it shall be in that day, [that] living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be. 9 And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.

Chapter 14 is separated from chapter 3 by ten whole chapters and is a completely different prophecy given at a completely different time.

To identify "it will be one day… " in chapter 14 as the same event as "… in one day… " in chapter 14, seems a long stretch.

Which details in chapter 3 and chapter 14 identify them in your mind as events that will occur on the same day?