Best live music performances ever?

Best concert I’ve ever been ever: Mahler’s 2nd Symphony, Reopening of the Orpheum Theater, New Orleans.,

1 Like

best show ive been to.
springsteen at sxsw with special guests jimmy cliff,eric burdon,tom morello

from about 3 feet in front of the stage

2 Likes

Stevie Ray Vaughan’s first public performance with Double Trouble at a nightclub in Austin. Indescribable.

1 Like

have you listened to 6/17/91? they teased dark star through the whole show

or 12/9/81… they closed first set with china>rider and opened second set with scarlett>fire>estimated> he’s gone

both on archive.org as well…

1 Like

Rolling Stones, October 31, 1981, Cotton Bowl. Opening bands: ZZ Top and the Fabulous Thunderbirds.

It poured 2 inches of rain during the Stones set and the music never stopped. Mick later said it was one of his most memorable concerts.

I couldn’t bring the picture here, but here’s a link to Mick and Keith in the pouring rain… Morrison Hotel Gallery

Ok folks, I wasn’t asking what your best concert was. I’m asking what do you think the best performances of all time were live. I wasn’t at any of the ones I mentioned though I’ve seen Nightwish live elsewhere.

Another nomination. Devin Townsend Project - Deadhead. Ignore the goofy faces he makes and just marvel at the power he puts out in his voice.

DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Deadhead (Live at Royal Albert Hall) - YouTube

Another Nightwish. I could easily put 20 to 30 Nightwish songs up here, they are so phenomenal live. While this is probably only down around 15 to 20 in my favorite songs by them the live performance is much higher because of how much they rock it especially once the breakdown happens starting around 3:25 - when the singer yells “Wembley lets go” the next minute is one of hte most amazing rock minutes I’ve ever seen especially when she starts belting again. Fun fact, this song writer in this group (the keyboardist) is a huge fantasy geek and wrote this song based on the 5th book of Stephen Kings Dark Tower series which is called Wolves of the Calla.

DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Deadhead (Live at Royal Albert Hall) - YouTube

And one more Nightwish and then I’ll stop. Maybe. This song is 21 minutes long live (its 24 minutes on the album). It has everything. Ariel fireworks synced to the music. Heavy metal Growls, operatic vocals, pop vocals, 3.5 minutes before there is any singing and its operatic and 7 minutes before normal singing, a sing along chorus, etc. Everytime you think you know what style of song its going to be it switches. At the start you’ll think its some sort of classical music piece. By the middle its obviously metal. At the end its back to classical. And does everything in between.

I saw Barbara Nissman play Totentanz for Piano and Orchestra, S126 by Franz Liszt with the West Virginia symphony in May 2018.

I was there about fifty feet from the stage with my red haired girlfriend on my shoulders. The sound people screwed the Thunderbirds.

I was similarly situated. I was in a group of about 30 people that didn’t stand while waiting for the Stones. We knew all the false alarms that happen at concerts and so as people stood for the alarms, we stayed seated on the stadium floor (about 80 feet out). We’d have one person stand and assess any commotion. People surrounding us, standing shoulder to shoulder, tried to entice us stand but we would not be fooled.

We got an extra hours rest by the time the Stones started. It gave us the energy to weave our way through the makeshift umbrellas of plastic sheeting people were still trying to hide under to end up about 20 feet from the stage.

Not to forget the football field sized slip and slide the arena’s floor became as the crowds thinned.

If it’s a show I’ve personally seen then that would be AC/DC back in 1982 on the For Those About To Rock tour.

My favorite filmed concert is The Talking Heads in Stop Making Sense.

Mumford and Sons and Oingo Boingo both put on rollicking good shows when I saw them live.