Besides Tax Cuts For The Wealthy - What major domestic thing has trump accomplished?

Trump most certainly did have great quarters. No question about it.

You are right Obama didn’t. Thank Ted, Trump didn’t have to start where Obama did though.

What do you mean he didn’t have a single quarter without an interest rate?

In December of 2015 the Fed put on a rate of 0.5%. It went to 0.75 in December of 2016, just as Trump was about to take office. It has gone up several times since. I believe it’s about 2.5% now.

He has never had ZERO interest rates, as Obama had from 2008 to December of 2015.

M

Ah ok. And yes there was also quantative easing. That’s the argument. Thank Ted we are finally on the same page. The President has been working with no QE and a rise in rates and yet has managed to keep growth on par with Mr. Obama.

That’s his accomplishment. All his.

The next thought though. If you look at republican presidents versus democrat presidents. In general markets, including employment markets act differently depending on the party in the White House. That’s why the market boomed for a bit under Bush junior and under Trump. There is always an initial spike That is in fact because dems are known for more regulation, possible higher taxes etc. That’s however a market perception. (One that dems deserve) but it’s just a perception.

As we saw during the Bush presidency and now the Trump presidency the market flattens out once it realizes that the promised Laissez fare is not coming but more debt spending is. So here we are at the same numbers that Obama had.

No,no,no, no, no…

That is NOT a perception or mis-perception. Businessmen KNOW when they are having the CRAP regulated out of them and when they are finally catching a break. They also know when they are getting a tax break.

They are the ones who have to fill out all the forms and meet all the regulations. ASK THEM.

It is simply NO MYSTERY that a businessman would know far better and much more than an academic what other businessmen need to succeed and grow.

You may think that Trump is an awful person for any number of reasons but he is a businessman - first and foremost - and he understands that realm, better than anyone we have ever had in there before, except for maybe George Washington, who was a great businessman himself.

M

I do t think trump is an awful person and even if i did i am not arguing from a position of not liking him personally, i am arguing from a position of being a democrat. Or a demonrat

Okay. But just remember that the Democrats are all in favor of what Trump is trying to do on trade, so he is not taking a Republican position. He is taking the best position for business - even if the Republicans don’t always like it.

His whole goal is to create JOBS and for the Americans who are not now working. How can anyone be opposed to that?

M

I don’t agree with that but i am going to leave that alone

When you break records for minority employment that is pretty much a given. They are typically those on the rough end of the scale and Trump is helping them find work. Other Americans in the same economic group are also getting hired.

I’m not saying they are the only ones getting the benefit. I’m saying they clearly are getting the benefit, and they are typically the ones who are too often overlooked.

Obamacare actually worked AGAINST them geting hired. The unintended consequence.

M

Your belief that Trump is helping them find work is misplaced. What kind of work are they finding?

Well, they aren’t being made CEOs, if that’s what you mean, but the records are REAL. They are working more than ever before.

We actually have a situation where there are more jobs available than there are workers able and willing to do them.

M

That’s all great. But i don’t want to rehash what is essentially a chicken or the egg argument.

You’re desperate

I love how Trumpists whine now about fed raising rates at full employment. Unreal. Desperate.

Don’t you know that 5% GDP growth with <5% unemployment warrants 0% interest rates? These people would flunk Econ101.

1 Like

Keg stand economics.

1 Like

And here is the fun part. The way the economy is, it actually is warranting it. Because the moment rates started going up the economy started slowing down.

In order for some who support the Trump narrative to understand that, they have to first admit that this “boom” is fragile. They won’t.

We have had low inflation since 2009.

That’s when the rates should have begun to go up.

They didn’t go up for damn near the entire Obama presidency. Obviously THAT was when the Fed thought things were fragile - not now.

And of course we KNOW Obama’s recovery was the WEAKEST in living memory. WAY too fragile to have any interest rates.

He got the pass that Trump doesn’t get.

M

Yes. If only obama i his final year increased spending back to 2009 levels and doubled the deficit, with stimulative deficit and fiscal spending at full employment, he’d get a pass from you

Sorry, but I never blame a president for the spending of the Congress.
I properly blame the Congress - and BOTH sides of the aisle. This is THEIR job and they muff it every time.

M

Very convenient now that Trump is in office. I guess the GOP was responsible for 75% of Obama’s spending and 100% of Trumps first 2 years. Ouch!