BERNIE’S BIG WIN: Amazon Caves to Sanders, Raises Minimum Wage to $15

Any bigger than yours?

No it’s not. If Amazon doesn’t figure it out, they will loose employees.

I can’t speak to your employment, but my companies have always had clearly defined pay scales for positions.

Now you are going to trust Amazon to do the right thing? Why the change in your attitude?

That didn’t happen with their min wage employees. Why would this be any different?

You didn’t answer my question:

• What was bernie threatening them with? You are calling this extortion…so what did bernie hold over them?
  • Are you arguing that the millions of amazon employees making lower wages and using taxpayer funded subsidies to survive is a better situation for everyone than having the company they work for pay them a living wage?

Trust amazon to do the right thing? Don’t have to. They did the right thing. No trust required.

Just wish we would raise teh federal minimum wage to 15 or a bit more, so that all companies were responsible for their work forces survival, and take that burden off of us, the tax payers.

What were the lowest paid employees getting? Around $8 an hour? Now they are going to get $15. Almost double. Does that mean the experienced $15 worker is now gong to get $30? If not, then that worker got a relative pay cut.

After bernbern threatened them. Were they going to do this without coercion?

Because where would the minimum wage people go? To another job offering minimum wage?

Next levels up can shop for better paying positions because they have skill sets that are in demand.

But seriously - would you rather we keep paying for amazon workers food and shelter? Is that a better solution for you?

What did Bernie threaten them with?

Relative pay cut? … huh?

Because someone making minimum wage gets a livable wage means everyone also needs to be “doubled”… to be “fair”… just weird rationalization. A modest raise, for the those already making a livable wage, is fine to maintain the pay scales.

Increased taxes.

More money in the economy is one factor for inflation. One way to do that is to arbitrarily raise wages. If inflation rises your buying power drops. You just suffered a pay cut.

It’s almost as if the poor and middle class consumer pay for eveything and the rich pay for nothing.

How would bernie raise their taxes? He’s one senator in the minority party.

Never said he could. Just that he threatened it.

This is an absurd argument.

“Old man with no direct power to do a thing forced one of the richest corporations in the world to raise their wages.”

Thousands of workers get a raise and many on the right get pissed off. Politics 2018.

So Bernie had not part whatsoever in this wage increase. I’m good with that.

Hadn’t heard about this legislation. Did it pass?

As far as I’m concerned, if full-time employees are getting government subsidies, (and if that’s a problem for the government – which I would agree it should be) I consider that a fault of the government. Not the employer.

However, I do not begrudge Amazon choosing to pay its employees whatever it wants. I also do not begrudge the employees getting more income because an employer chose to give them a raise.

I don’t understand why Sean is saying this is Bernie’s Big Win. (Well, I understand why, but I don’t agree with that assessment.)