Bernie: No teacher in America will make less than $60,000 per year

So what is his plan to enforce this? As altair says, how does he force the states to do this short of taking over the education system?

• Significantly increase teacher pay by working with states to set a starting salary for teachers at no less than $60,000 tied to cost of living, years of service, and other qualifications; and allowing states to go beyond that floor based on geographic cost of living.
  • End racial and gender disparities in teacher pay.
  • Ensure professional development for all teachers, including continuing education and mentorship programs.
  • Protect and expand collective bargaining rights and teacher tenure.
  • Triple the above-the-line tax deduction for educator expenses and index it to inflation to reimburse teachers for the nearly $500 on average they spend on out of pocket classroom expenses each year.
  • Create a grant program to provide teachers with funds explicitly meant for classroom materials.
  • Empower teachers to provide a teacher-supported curriculum that gives students the best possible education.

Anyone else want to point out that there are a lot of really, really, REALLY BAD teachers out there.

This is more dimocrat ridiculousness.

2 Likes

There are no doubt plenty of ā€œbadā€ teachers out there.

But as it exists today, teaching is a thankless job. For every bad teacher who took the job because it was all they could get, there are countless true believers who teach not for the paycheck (because the paycheck sucks), but because thatā€™s their passion.

I come from a family of teachers - my mother was a elementary school special ed teacher, my father and grandfather were college professors, and my uncle now teaches at the high school I graduated from. All of them could have made exponentially more money in the private sector, but chose instead to teach.

There are more good teachers dealing with a bad system than there are bad teachers - and the way to get better teachers is to attract those who have a passion for it with a living wage.

1 Like

A job that requires a higher than bachelor level of education isnā€™t a job people get because itā€™s ā€œall they could getā€.

Regardless, they should be paid what the market says they should be paid.

Bachelorā€™s degrees in the liberal arts (Iā€™m talking about things like English and Political Science, not ā€œbasket-weavingā€ or obscure or arcane degrees) donā€™t exactly throw the doors of job opportunities open.

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with getting a degree in English, or PoliSci - but the people choosing those majors arenā€™t looking at college as a vocational school.

1 Like

In virtually all public schools they are on year to year contracts and can be removed for cause rather easily.

use DOE funding as a bragging chip to get states to increase wages.

Why are we going to nuke the teachers or the schools? :sweat_smile:

The only way to actually do this would be for a complete federal takeover of education.

1 Like

I know that, you know that, others asking the question know that. Those who want this will not admit it.

Well consider his audience, itā€™s the clapping seal brigade.

1 Like

No you simply use federal funding as a tool to pressure state government into increasing wages. something the federal government has done hundreds of times.

Withhold federal funding for ā€œxā€ till they comply with the policy.
you know the same way Congress got states to increase the legal drinking age to 21.

Nope.

Congress does it every day.

No thatā€™s not going to work, they arenā€™t getting enough federal funds to increase pay to such a level and there would be revolts across the states by taxpayers if they tried raising state and local taxes enough to do it.

1 Like

No they donā€™t and we have a long series of fairly recent court decisions that prevent it.

please cite court case that said states are entitled to federal funding.

And people are getting tired of that ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  The feds will not pony up enough to cover the raises they want to enforce. The constituents will not take kindly to that sort of blackmail when the majority of the funding comes from property taxes. Such a hike in property taxes will not happen easily nor be supported.

1 Like

I made no such statement.

What I stated is that we have recent court decisions that prevent them from being cut off which is perfectly accurate.