Behold the power of The Hogg!

Try reading the two and see if you can come to an understanding as to how they are different.

Thanks Sneaky, but Rose and Samm have already explained that it is “small fast moving ammo”, “such as is usually fired from AR style rifles”. lol

The key word there is “can.” Far more critical to causing damage to flesh is bullet design. And those who have made bullet design their life work will tell you that a heavy, sub sonic, well designed bullet will do more damage and be more lethal than small fast moving ball ammo such as is usually fired from AR style rifles. As Sneaky said, shooting is more than math.

“Ball” simply refers to the non expanding full metal jacketed bullet.

Congratulatons.

You may have just typed the stupidest ■■■■■■■ thing on the Hannity board today.

1 Like

You don’t think that pretty well blows the calculation for all purposes?

You should read some of the pro slavery threads.

Foot Pounds or Jules.

Foot/pound is normally how it is expressed.

No. When making a comparison it is completely valid.

What are the units for a comparison of energies E1/E2?

No matter which numbers I used, the relative comparison of kinetic energy will end up the same, so long as the relative masses and relative velocities are the same.

Because to get the relative comparison, you DIVIDE at the end.

So for example, I see now you were correct, I misread grains as grams…HOWEVER…

230 grains/40 grains (the numbers I used) = 5.75

Had I used the actual grams, the weights would have been 15 g and 2.6 g.

Would you care to guess the number I get if I divide 15/2.6?

Why…it would be about 5.75.

So my final energy comparisons between the kinetic energy of a 45 caliber bullet and a 22 caliber bullet?

While the absolute numbers for each of them would be different, the ratio between them would be …wait for it…

EXACTLY THE SAME!

joules
mks

You are wrong about the comparison and you’re embarrassing yourself.

Thank you! :joy:

Wildrose, I already told you how engineers speak of these things. Ask Samm. Ask CMI. They will tell you how units are used in comparisons.

Jayjay, I had seen the gram/grain error but knew it didn’t matter. Wildrose can’t bet past that for some reason. He doesn’t understand it makes. O difference in your final comparison. Clearly he is no engineer.

Carrying on, in my example I said the velocity of a bullet fired from an AR-15 was about 3x the velocity of that of a 45 caliber handgun. I got this off a few websites and oversimplified by taking the averages of the velocities I found there…which turned out to be ~800 ft/s for a 45 and ~2,400 ft/s for an AR-15 (I’ve since found that for the size .223 bullet I used, the AR-15 velocity is actually higher…between 3,000 and 3,600 ft/s but again I was keeping things simple).

2,400/800 = 3.

What does 3/1 equal, WildRose?

I guess I should have expressed my final answer as a ratio just to make it crystal clear to the nit pickers at large.

You are once again coming up with a completely wrong answer for both.

Calculate the energy for both.

55gr bullet with an mv 3250

3.56gm bullet with MV of 990.6

250gr bullet, MV=875fps

16.19gm, MV=266.7m/s

Now mix and match all your units as he originally did. Does that give you anything resembling an accurate comparison?

Not no, but hell no.

These are the types of errors that cause buildings and bridges to collapse and cause Mars probes to smash into the surface instead of landing gently.

I’m not building a bridge or a space probe.

I’m making a relative comparison between energies.

In your example:

250 grain/55 grain = 4.55

16.19 g/3.56 g= well, shockingly, 4.55!

3,250 FPS/875 FPS = 3.71

990.6 m/s / 266.7 m/s = wait for it…

…3.71!

Care to guess what the ratio of the kinetic energies is going to be whether I use grains or grams?

Now plug those figures into the actual formula using accurate velocities for the .45acp and 5.56x45, 875fps and 3250fps respectively.

I already did.

If I was looking for the absolute energies for each, you are correct, Inwould have come up with incorrect answers.

However, I was COMPARING the two energies to one another…coming up with a RATIO.

Therefore, as long as I don’t use grams for one and grains for the other, and/or m/s for one and FPS for the other, I will come up with the same answer because when doing a ratio, the UNITS CANCEL OUT.

And to shake folks down!

“I call on @Publix to donate double the money they gave to Putman [sic] to the Stoneman Douglas Victims fund, $1,000,000. And never support an A rated NRA politician again,” he wrote.

The Je$$ie Jack$on is strong in this one.

1 Like

If he is targeting Publix then that cements my patronage of Publix. We usually go to Publix anyway.