Behold the power of The Hogg!

It matters completely since you can’t get close to the correct answer using metric measurements.

Absolutely it is.

Because maybe one day people will learn to stop reading into people’s posts things that aren’t there.

I used information I found online and used the cgs system to calculate kinetic energy.

This is even worse nitpicking than you usually do.

Biggestal is correct- the units absolutely do not matter unless I mix them when comparing one thing to another.

Which I did not.

Yes you can.

Are you really this obtuse, or is this intentional misleading?

When comparing one bullets energy versus another bullets energy as a comparison it doesn’t matter what units you use as long as you are consistent.

I actually am sitting here open-mouthed that this had to be explained.

I mean…I know nitpicking a discussion to death is a WildRose specialty, but this was a step above and beyond his usual.

SMH.

I could use velocity in ft/sec and mass in grams. As long as I used the same units in all my calculations and was using the results to compare relative energies I would be fine.

Wildrose was probably thinking of calculating the actual energy in some sort of standard unit. Now that we have explained I’m sure he’ll understand and accept the relative energy comparisons as valid.

You forgot to post this in Sarcafont

It’s a comparison. As long as he uses the same units on both sides, the comparison is valid.

He could have used stones and li as long as he used the same for both. His point is not the right answer, it’s which one is more.

Everybody just calm down and be civil. You’re arguing over “would you rather be shot with this gun or that?” The correct answer is “I shoot you first.”

I regret my part in contributing to the PFC level barracks nonsense.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t even care to be shot with a bb gun myself. :wink:

The mass is wrong, the velocity is wrong and the ft/lbs of energy are all wrong.

But hey, we’ll call is “OK” anyhow, right?

Yep.

E=4$×@3 (2134÷654)×2=Dead dude (unless he’s hard to kill)then x8 (reload) x2.

Or as some of us have pointed out repeatedly a bullet hitting center mass from either will kill you just as dead.

Or not.

Killing people has nothing to do with math. It has to do with mean.

Are the proportional masses of the bullets wrong? Because actual units don’t matter.

Are the proportional velocities wrong? Because actual units don’t matter.

We are comparing via a proportion. Proportions have a numerator and a denominator. The units cancel so it doesn’t mater what unit is used for mass or velocity as long as you are consistent.

You purport to work in a science related position yet people have to tell you this?

Dude, I even provided you an out saying you probably were talking about actual energy using standard units. But his calculation is also an energy calculation, just using his own units and there is nothing wrong with that when making a comparison.

I got the masses of the different bullets and the exit velocities from at least three different Internet sources.

I got the kinetic energy equation straight out of a physics textbook.

Other have made valid criticism of the work I did, explaining there are many more factors at work other than kinetic energy. I stated up front I had oversimplified things.

Your nitpick that Inused grams instead of grains, and meters instead of feet is just that…a pointless nitpick.

Yes actual units matter because the Energy is calculated in ft/bls.

If you want to do metric calculations you have to adjust for them.

Let’s try this.

A bullet weighs 250gr. When we convert that to grams it’s mass is 16.17gm not 250. That throws the entire calculation off by more than 10x

Then perhaps you should learn to read the books so you can get the calculations correct.

Oh my God, please stop WildRose.

You have to know how stupid this is.