Balance of Interests

What civil right?

Society decides. Much as we decided long ago that you can’t kill people without due process, much as we decided slavery was no long acceptable. Society in certain municipalities, states, and even at the federal level we decided that certain kinds of discrimination weren’t acceptable.

Absolutely. What’s the harm in having second class citizens?

On private property.

Property has nothing to do with this. You have an unhealthy obsession with that word.

Property has everything to do with this.

The right to be free from unequal treatment based on certain protected characteristics. It’s not a universal natural right but it’s a right in this country that was deemed to be necessary.

1 Like

Did they treat the baker equally based on certain characteristics?

“That was deemed…” by whom?

Yes. The baker was held to the same standard as any other baker.

I only half read the ruling, but from what I understand the commissioners did not and violated the baker’s rights with their misconduct.

Deemed by congress.

No, the homosexuals.

Either the south was going to have to stop owning slaves and be unhappy, or the south would win and slaves would be unhappy.

Do we always have to worry about whether an outcome makes a side happy?

Yes. And the deep south was very unhappy.

So in the current situation, you have decided the religious property owner is going to be unhappy.

There is no balance.

That’s up for debate. Initially, I would say that the homosexuals violated the baker’s rights if they targeted him just because he is a Christian baker. But I can’t say that in a way that doesn’t also criticize the purposeful targeting diners and lunch counters for sit-ins based on the race of the owners, knowing how they would react. I am hesitant to take the Baker’s side on anything because of that.

Even if they didn’t target him. Did they respect his religious beliefs as much as they demand he respect their sexual orientation?

Was the government involved in the lunch counters?

Were there any segregated restaurants on July 1st, 1964?

We done?

Who will make that judgement?

Jerks should have just gone to another baker…