Baby Formula and Government Failure

And I also said they are paying a severe market price for doing so and will likely be fined severely. They are paying a severe price. They are NOT being absolved which would mean that they would get off scot-free.

The DIFFERENT issue of the massive lack of baby formula on the market is a government caused failure. If the government was not blocking production with overzealous regulations and protectionist policies, the shutdown of a single plant would have caused nothing.

I will blame Abbott for their own failure at this one plant.

I will blame government for the greater product shortage.

2 Likes

Exactly. I’d like an investigation as to why Abbot ignored FDA warnings on multiple occasions, and failed to correct the errors found.

In this case they are complicit in the deaths of four infants.

Yeah you can definitely see why baby formula is over-regulated, what with this poisoning babies thing, and why we actually need less oversight than the ten warnings they ignored because they knew they would pay no price and then we would get. . .safer baby formula? Is that the logic here?

5 Likes

They ignored it because government has no place in stopping from poisoning babies and frankly it’s their fault for having standards in the first place, if they didn’t this wouldn’t even be a terrible crime.

As I get older it becomes real obvious that our society went psychotic or something in the 80s and 90s.

5 Likes

I can agree with this. But protectionist policies are Republican in nature. It was Trump’s trade deal with Canada that limited importation if formula because China.

It’s all part of the plan to increase domestic production on goods, and bring back manufacturing.

If the right wants to create policies and trade deals in order to bring back manufacturing, then they have to know hiccups like this are likely to happen.

Let the free market fix it. If you don’t want your infant to die or be hospitalized with a rare bacterial infection from formula, speak with your dollars. The government shouldn’t have any say of whether or not I buy formula which could kill or cause severe harm to my children. Keep big government out of my baby bottle! (sarcasm)

3 Likes

Or maybe the whole universe isn’t a Vox thinkpiece and this company should pay a terrible price for killing small children through intentional negligence. Just throwing it out there.

2 Likes

The FDA needs more teeth. This plant should have been shut down years ago after receiving multiple warnings. Not when they started killing children.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that waiting for children to die is a more effective way to regulate the market than making sure the factories that make formula are clean. Then you can choose not to buy the formulas that kill your kid. Unless you buy it before the market corrects itself, I believe that’s called being a sacrificial victim to the gods of capitalism and is a great honor.

3 Likes

The internet has really turned all of us into psychopaths. Babies, literal babies, die from tainted formula and people say, you know who the real victim is here? The guys that made the formula that killed them.

2 Likes

Not to derail this man… but that is a definitive statement that overstretches what the market does and does not do.

The free market fails all the time.

Because it is a free market.

1 Like

No argument with that.

Well there’s your stupid post of the day. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Cool!

So glad you posted (sarcasm). It helped!

2 Likes

On Monday, Press Secretary Jen Psaki said the government is doing its best to address the shortage, noting that manufacturers say they’re producing at full capacity following a product recall by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

“Ensuring the availability is also a priority for the FDA and they’re working around the clock to address any possible shortage,” Psaki said.

From the first link.

This is what kills me. What? What is the government doing to “address the shortage”? To “ensure the availability”?

What exactly is government “working around the clock”? Are they milking cows? Making formula? Driving trucks? WHAT!?!

Freakin’ Putin.

3 Likes

:rofl: The umitigated gall…

5 Likes

The optics.

1 Like

Mmmmmm

Hear! Hear!

1 Like