Baby Formula and Government Failure

The government must provide food, including baby formula, and water to migrant children detained at the border as part of a settlement of a class-action lawsuit that was initially brought against the Reagan administration and settled under the Clinton administration in 1997.

The Flores settlement, as it is known, laid out the appropriate treatment of children detained by immigration officials, including holding them in “safe and sanitary” facilities and providing “drinking water and food as appropriate.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Continue reading the main story

Under the settlement, the government also agreed to quickly release children from detention. To get around Flores and detain adults who were traveling with children, the Trump administration separated families at the border. When that policy incited immense backlash, the administration produced regulations to replace Flores, but a federal judge ultimately rejected that effort.

Despite the Trump administration’s antipathy to the settlement, it nonetheless abided by Flores’s food and water requirements. Inspector general reports in 2018, 2019 and 2020 found that all Border Patrol facilities that investigators visited had baby formula available. A news release from Customs and Border Protection in 2019 also noted that facilities provided formula.

Congress itself has explicitly cited infant formula in funding legislation for Customs and Border Protection. For example, lawmakers gave the agency $40.2 million in 2019 for “commodities such as food, infant formula and diapers.”

Interesting. I never knew that is why trump separated families. But that’s not the point. The fed. is obligated by law to feed apprehended kids.

How about sending them back?

The libs basically open border policy is for ■■■■■ When you can’t feed your won people you don’t turn around and give billions to other countries and let hundreds of thousands of others in.

3 Likes

It would be nice if they would allow this permanently. It would make the market more flexible, plus it would likely bring down the price of baby formula over the long term.

3 Likes

I’m confused.

When people suggested the government should ensure citizens have access to healthcare, conservatives claimed healthcare isn’t in the constitution, is a free market product, etc…

Is baby formula in the constitution? When did that industry get socialize?

Yeah, but sporting goods from abroad costs American jobs?

Of course you’re confused. Your reply had nothing to do with what I said. Not once did I say socialize anything, yet the small thinking brains immediately go there. There are other ways to deal with taking care of the citizens of a country without socializing, even though that is the dream of the left.

1 Like

What do you suggest?

I haven’t kept up with every post in this 300+ post thread, but my free trade position has been long consistent. I support free trade in all cases.

About what?

I dont see anything from this admin. They refuse to even call it a crisis.

Why dont you guys do what you always do and just tell us what “we” want.

Conservatives aren’t in charge.

3 Likes

No “we” don’t.

Abbott says there is no evidence to link its formulas to these illnesses. The FDA and the CDC have not disclosed any information that connects the illnesses and the plant.

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration and Abbott tested environmental and product samples at the plant. They found five environmental samples containing Cronobacter sakazakii which Abbott says were in non-product contact areas of the plant. The product samples tested negative.

Kill your radio.

1 Like

Your savior the government at work

Then on Friday, it unveiled a new website: HHS.gov/formula.

:rofl:

3 Likes

https://www.fda.gov/media/157073/download

ditto.

All of that is one more reason we need a big beautiful wall and a return to the policies of the previous administration to dis incentivize people from coming here in the first place.

2 Likes

Yep. How about making it clear they aren’t welcome or wanted in the first place. Is that xenophobic…I don’t care.

Our country is being invaded…border officials who should be patrolling for the drugs that have killed 107000 of our fellow Americans are spending their time playing Expedia for illegals…and title 42 is about to expire and it’s going to get worse.

We already have a housing shortage, we are facing a food shortage, we aren’t done with Covid, why are we importing poverty from all over the world? There is a legal process to come to America and it doesn’t involve paying a coyote to smuggle you into the country.

That’s off topic but it’s not.

2 Likes

No it’s not free market, formula is one of the most regulated products there are.

:rofl: You used Brandon’s FDA as a source on a FDA screw up?

You claimed we haven’t seen the violations.they are listed in that report.

Did I?