As of today, my discretionary spending is being re-evaluated and cancelled

I don’t want to romanticize those times too much. Paying the bills was a pain in the butt, just to sit down and write all the checks, insert them in envelopes and such. Had to make time to shop retail for everything. It was difficult to connect and stay in touch with friends and family who live far away. Remember waiting till night time because long distance calling rates were discounted after a certain hour ? Directions to go to an unfamiliar place involved fussing with maps/atlases…having to write down step by step directions on a piece of paper. Putting together a handy playlist of music that you like to listen to took a lot of time and money. If there was something on TV you wanted to watch, you’d better free up that particular timeslot. And so on and so on.

1 Like

Matter of fact, the amount I got out of those stimulus checks was exactly zero.

You didn’t hear me whining about it, either. Lot of folks need that more than I do.

1 Like

Just broke down and upgraded my 6s to an 11 this week.

Typing this on a 6, not even a 6s.

Still may have you beat, the 6s was the first cell phone I ever bought for myself or owned. Held out as long as I could.

I love my mobile and having what is really a PC in my pocket. I love been connected and I honestly hope I live to see the day when we can be connected directly via a neural interface. The stuff of dreams I know.

If any of you all are retired living on SS and a (very) modest investment monthly income, discretionary spending is a two or three times a year luxury.
Discretionary income is a “rainy day fund” to keep your 8-10 year old (or older) vehicle on the road. Buying a new vehicle after retirement is, well, a Brotha gotta dream. We like to take motorcycle trips, the Electra Glide is 12 years old and still kick-in’. Thought about trading in for a new one or picking up a 2-3 year old Road King for day trips. Might have to wait to see how friendly the stock market is going to be to “‘Ol Joey from Scranton”?

Seem a little premature. But good to have plan I guess. I’m not taking any action at this time. I didn’t when trump was elected. Not seeing anything drastic happening until later - if any.

1 Like

I just took delivery of an E-bike. Look into the Himiway. Price is $1399.

1 Like

And if the republican’s hadn’t held their ground, we would have 3 trillion MORE on the debt tody. I expect that 3 trillion to double with a D house, D senate and D president come January.

I’ve thought about how to spend my hard earned money also. I really enjoy a rye made in Vermont. Not anymore. I will attempt to source the owners of any business I do business with going forward and vote with my spending.

1 Like

So what has stopped you from writting a large check to the IRS every year? You know you can donate to the government without them forcing you to.

That is why I propose a single tax rate, and a single deduction with one tax payer per tax form.

1 Like

You will be assimilated. I won’t

1 Like

I wonder how long it will take for comrade biden to cancel all student loan debt

1 Like

I see the writing on the wall. Not enough R’s win to take the house. 4 seats undecided in the Senate – They will dig up enough votes somehow somewhere to make them go D. And Biden as President (at least till they figure out how to get ride of him and the farther left Kamala takes over).

I’m just getting preparted.

1 Like

After talking to the bike shop guy – I don’t want a full throttle e-bike. Too many places are restricting where you can ride them. If it’s pedal assist only – it still only counts as a bycicle and can still go everywhere a bycicle can. Those are tough to find . . . . .

I’m expecting another stimulus bill. 12 billion for them, 12 hundred for me. lol

3 Likes

Oh please, please pro me the price of gas will increase PLEASE

Always someone else’s fault.

My hope that personal responsibility was back in vogue has been dashed.

Oooh. You’ll probably need the party that actually supports social security, then.