Are there any areas of agreement between the left and the right these days?

The problem with the left stems from loss of idealism.

They have forgotten that. Or killed it. Or whatever. The organized left is a mess and the more extreme elements have more or less took over the movement in the West.

That said the right isn’t much better off. It’s devolved into a populist mass all throughout Western Europe.

Populism is just a buzz word. You can tell as it has no real definition. It’s what you call an opponent you don’t quite disagree with, but don’t like .

I think you’re confused my friend. Politicians from both sides want open boarders.
Democrats for the votes, regardless of rapists, illegals, terrorists, drugs, murderers.
Republicans mainly for the cheap labor. Both sides are traitors to their country when it comes to illegal immigration and open borders and have been for years, but I expect that Trump will change that, and any Republican that doesn’t vote with him on this, will look really really bad!
As for the American people. No, most of us don’t want open borders for safety reasons, gangs like MS-13, Rapists, Murderers, massive Drugs, and the fact that if an illegal alien comes to this country and need a million dollar surgery they can’t be turned down, and the tax payers pay for it. Also if an illegal immigrant gets in a car wreck with a person, and it was the illegals fault, then no money will ever be payed out to get the innocent persons car fixed. Why? That’s simple. When a bill is owed of any kind, and a person isn’t an American citizen, it would be like trying to nail air to the wall for justice! lol.
I think that you’re blind my friend to the truth, and I honestly hope that you can seek the truth yourself. For yourself.

1 Like

lol. Yeah it had nothing to do with the 1994 mid-terms. Not a thing! Newt Gingrich was renowned for his compromises! They even named the great compromise principle the Hastert Rule.

DEMs have a very different idea of what compromise is all about. They get everything they want. That’s what compromise means to them.

Not surprising that leading LW publications view that time period as a time when Gingrich was unwilling to compromise on anything.

And yet look what was accomplished.

Go figure.

You would think roads and bridges would be a no brainer for both sides…

the irony of your post. It’s just so delicious.

What is it exactly that you are disputing? That anything got done at all under Clinton?

What are their views and policies on immigration? That would depend on how they can use the issue to further their chances of being elected to get committee seats in the US Congress, and gaining political power and control of the US federal budget monies.

A few years ago the elected Democrats were pro US immigration enforcement, and pro-traditional marriage. A few years later they did a complete 180 degree flip on both issues, because…:

1. They saw new a new wedge to divide fellow Americans.

2. They found new political weapons to bludgeon their political opponents with.

3. They found new constituency groups to create new victims with, and to define their political opponents as their evil 0ppressors

1 Like

That the era from 1994 to 2000 entrenched the partisan divide.

It’s crazy. LINK

These crazy leftists are becoming more and more mainstream within the new Democratic Party.

This is what happens when a political party is only concerned with dividing the people against each other, and setting themselves up as the only worthy arbiter.

Vote Democrat- vote for anarchy.

How do you compromise with anarchists, who see the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights, as “a charter of negative liberties?”

1 Like

Start talking America first to a Democrat and they go bat ■■■■ crazy.

1 Like

Because the dems have turned the very existence and founding principles of America into a new wedge issue, to create victims and oppressors.

1 Like

So once again I ask. Are you trying to make the point that nothing got done in Clinton’s second term?

Like I said earlier the idea of the two sides working together was taken out back and shot a long time ago. The actions of both parties guaranteed it.

Was this before or after Newty Newt Newt and his “Contract With America” closed down the government?

So the Republicans had compromised with Obama? Funny, I remember some idiot Senator who proclaimed that their goal was to make Obama a one term president.

1 Like

Both sides would agree with the idea that the other side should be on that ship where it now rests.

2 Likes

An admirable goal to be sure.

1 Like

Except Trump has asked for ideas and suggestions from the dems, so he has reached out over and over.

Wasn’t that the same guy who voted against his own legislation after he found out that Obama was for it?