Are Companies Using Welfare Programs to Keep Their Workers Wages Low?

Want to make sure I understand what you are saying.

An individual who has no skill set with no desire to acquire a skill set is hired by company x and is paid what a nonskilled worker is worth. That unskilled worker gets married and has a child. The wife chooses to stay home and care for the child. In order to survive that family depends heavily on government assistance.

Are you saying that the government should stop that assistance, expecting company x will step in and pay that worker an inflated wage?

Surely you must realize that company x would never do that. What becomes of that worker and his family? Me personally, I believe the individual should have acquired a skill set so that he could earn a decent living. I also believe Company x has no obligation to pay someone more than they are worth. But Iā€™m not heartless.

4 Likes

Tangential to this, Google The Great Resignation and read some of the articlesā€¦ People are currently quitting their jobs in record numbers, especially in the service industry.

Restaurants and such are being forced to raise wages and offer other benefits in order to attract new workers. Wages $15 an hour and up are not uncommon. The kicker? They are still having critical shortages in people willing to take the jobs.

3 posts in this thread and 3 opportunities to recite LW rhetoric. Iā€™m guessing I should at least compliment you on your accuracy. Great job! :clap:

The low skilled workers used to be able to get decent manufacturing/union job that paid a wage you could raise a family on. The jobs that replaced those, the service industry, needs to pay the same wage.

Been watching that as well. Ironically the law of supply and demand is in play here. Companies need workers and will need to pay what is necessary to attract those workers. Those holding out might eventually get an offer they canā€™t refuse. :slight_smile:

Youā€™ve kind of got it backwards. The best way for someone to make a decent living is to acquire a skill. Companies are under no obligation to pay inflated wages to low skilled workers that are in great supply; nor should they be.

Eventually.

Some will get education or more education. I think this is a good thing, but I do worry about inflationary pressure.

1 Like

AKA, truth.

Or maybe the answer is to get oneself into a better economic situation before having a child. Most people I know who have kids are waiting until their mid thirties, forties and I even know men who waited until they were 50! There are good paying jobs out there that do not require a college degree.

No they arenā€™tā€¦that is why the industry is struggling to find employees willing to accept their low wages.

Not enough supply to fill the demand.

no. We the taxpayers are making sure walmart employees are fed, and have housingā€¦

The costs of those basic requirements should be bourne by the customers of walmart, not the tax base in general.

I donā€™t think 40yo people just decided to stay stocking shelves at walmart. In many regions of the country, those are the only jobs availible.

We know what america looks like without safety nets and worker protection - the Gilded age. And we know hat america looks like with strong unions, a relevant minimum wage and strong federal worker support - the 50ā€™s and 60ā€™s.

Decide which you prefer and support the relevant policies.

and the executives. Exec. pay is always linked to share value.

then your OP is moot. Current legislation allows corps like walmart to allow taxpayers to subsidize their work force and maximize shareholder value.

walmart executives are heavily invested in the corp.

This is a good thread, and I hope we can have honest and open conversation.

IMO, who decides is the basic minimum standard of living.

I think if an american works 40 hours a week, they should be paid such that they can rent (or own) a place to live, feed and cloth their spouse and a kid - maybe 2? I donā€™t knowā€¦ ā€“ and take a modest vacation every year.

IMO, the customers and clients of the business they work for should pay for this.

IOW, I advocate for the 50s (less the racism). a minimum wage that means something, stronger unions, stronger federal worker protections, lower Exec/labor wage ratios (admitting I donā€™t know how that is achieved in this world now.).

I agree with that.

But no corp should expect the taxpayer base to fund their work force.

Correct.