Are Companies Using Welfare Programs to Keep Their Workers Wages Low?

It’s largely of a function if they have children or not. The overwhelming majority of working single adults get little to no government assistance. There was a statistic I posted in another thread basically demonstrating that the number of children a person has is inversely proportional to income. In the US for those who have children the poorer a person is the more children they have.

Your second link is particularly eye opening. @Paul_Do you might want to read that one. Then we can discuss it if you would like.

As I said, it’s a little more complex than just upping wages. There are other considerations to look at.

Couldn’t read the article without subscribing to Fortune?? Did you see @RTchoke articles regarding COSTCO? I found the second one especially intriguing.

That kind of goes back to my point about low skilled workers looking to raise a family without having any skills rather than looking to gain the skills required to make a decent living.

I actually already read that. It gave the old profit per employee number which is now actually higher than that. Walmart profits enough to cover what the government pays their employees but the main issue is what motivation is their when they know the government will cover the tab?

It is unfair to other companies and creates an environment were if you are not willing to scam the taxpayers you are at a competitive disadvantage

Do you know if you took all the salaries of the top executives at Walmart and evenly distributed it to all their employees they would each get an additional $35.00 per year.

And where would Walmart find quality executives to work for nothing?

It’s not the executives that are making all the money, it’s the shareholders. Or, to be more accurate, the Waltons.

1 Like

I’m confused??

If you had read the second article you would have seen that Walmart and COSCO have two very different business models. They target very different demographics and aren’t remotely similar in any way. Walmart can no more become a COSTCO than a COSTCO could become a Walmart.

Your whole argument is based on a flawed assumption that they are very similar in every way and that because COSCO can pay more than Walmart should be able to pay more. That argument dries up if they aren’t similar in any way.

1 Like

Walmart is a publicly traded company. As a shareholder are you saying I am not entitled to maximize my stock shares?

My point is, it’s not the executives profiting on the backs of employees that need food stamps to survive.

The executives are just more workers, albeit better-paid ones.

:roll_eyes:
You missing the part were Walmart profited 19 billion.

They have 1.6 million employees in America.

They could pay each employee 11,000 dollars a year more and still be profitable.

Executives have a fiduciary responsibility to their stock holders. Are you saying that anyone invested in the stock market is beholden to the unskilled workers who have chosen not to acquire skills they would need to make a living???

Only reason they are able to do that is because the government is subsidizing their employees pay. It’s a scam

Any company that doesn’t ■■■■ over the country is at a massive competitive disadvantage why is this Being not just allowed but encouraged

Turns out, Greed is not good.

Sadly, to many still believe it is.

No. Stop trying to build strawman, and just read my words.

It’s literally the encouragement of companies to ■■■■ over the country. It’s not just nuts but completely unsustainable, there is no reason a company should be profiting billions while there employees take billions in government assistance.

Any company that actually gives a ■■■■ about America is at a competitive disadvantage

This, bringing up executive pay is a straw man to confuse the uninformed

1 Like

So if Walmart (or any business for that matter) has a part time cashier with four kids how much should that employee be compensated?