Appeal dismissed in Virginia House of Delegates v Bethune Hill for lack of standing (rather interesting lineup of Justices for and against)

Link above to the Opinion of the Court.

Holding : The House of Delegates lacks standing to appeal the invalidation of Virginia’s redistricting plan.

Judgment : Appeal dismissed, 5-4, in an opinion by Justice Ginsburg on June 17, 2019. Justice Alito filed a dissenting opinion, in which Chief Justice Roberts, and Justices Breyer and Kavanaugh joined.

I actually agree with the majority here and I wish the federal courts would become a lot MORE anal retentive regarding standing issues. In the end, the court does not address the merits of the case at all.

For those of you still foolish enough to stereotype Justices, this should be an object lesson. :smile:

Will this affect the Michigan suit? The court had ordered them to redraw the lines for the next election. My guess is it would?..

Or it this only for Virginia?

As a dismissal due to standing issues, this has no precedent standing whatsoever and will have absolutely no effect on redistricting jurisprudence in any way.

1 Like