Apology comparison Ingraham vs Bee

I recall there was a long debate about what constitutes an apology when Ingraham “apologized” to Hogg. Let’s take a look at Samantha Bee’s apology compared to Ingraham.

First off, Bee apologized the next day when people started complaining. This was before advertisers threatened to leave. Ingraham apologized later, after advertisers threatened to leave.

Let’s look at the wording:

Ingraham: Any student should be proud of a 4.2 GPA —incl. @DavidHogg111. On reflection, in the spirit of Holy Week, I apologize for any upset or hurt my tweet caused him or any of the brave victims of Parkland.

Bee: “I would like to sincerely apologize to Ivanka Trump and to my viewers for using an expletive on my show to describe her last night. It was inappropriate and inexcusable. I crossed a line, and I deeply regret it.

Which apology is better?

Btw, I’ll be upfront that Bee used far harsher language but Ingraham was attacking a child.

I’m always skeptical of public apologies.

2 Likes

A child? @biggestal99 says he’s a grown man.

Bee’s was more immediate. Ingraham needed more convincing. If she was really sorry, she would have apologized sooner. .

I don’t think either is sorry. Then again, I think that comedians should have more free reign than they do, generally.

They know the trade off once they start working for a corporation.

Hogg was 17 during the Ingraham event but is 17 now.

Frankly I’m not comfortable attacking him at 18 either.

Attacking him?

Was he a child when he was carrying on about “our parents”?

Sounds hollow. If it was inexcusable she should hang it up and quit because it was beyond being excused.

While it’s impossible to judge the sincerity of either the timing and wording of Bee’s is better.

was Ingraham’s tweet written and produced for a pre-recorded “comedy” show?

Honestly I think its impossible to judge the sincerity of either apology.

Nope. People on all levels knew what Bee was going to say. They implicitly approved it.

He,s an adult. Can buy property. Vote. Etc.

No where did I say a grown man

If you are asking me if he is fully mature. The answer is no.

He’ll compare the 18 old biggestal to the 61 old biggestal.

Night and day.

Allan

I’d call them a tie. They were both stated to cover their ass and nothing more so really…who cares?

1 Like

One actually apologized for the offending behavior. The other apologized that people were hurt. I find the former to be a better sign of contrition.

You’re nicer than me. Any mindset that would allow to come out of their mouth what Bee said, doesn’t get a pass with “I’m sowry”. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t believe Ingraham’s apology was any more sincere. Attempting to compare the two is beyond ridiculous because they’re both said for the same reason…cover their butt.

Where are the apologies from the writers and producers of the SB garbage?

I’m curious how many people here criticizing Bee actually saw the clip when she said it. She used the term in criticizing Ivanka Trump, who put a sweet pic of herself and her baby on Instagram, for not having the guts to tel her father to not separate immigrant kids from their parents. Feckless seems about right.

feck·less
ˈfekləst
adjective
lacking initiative or strength of character; irresponsible.

Also did Laura use the horrible language that Bee used? That would be no of course.

Neither one was sincere.