AOC of all people should know who the real villains are behind the student loan debt mess

It also takes too ■■■■■■■ long. There’s absolutely no reason for people to sit in classes for 8 years (I’m including high school).

From the article:

“It’s maybe a little bit counterintuitive, but it’s not particularly surprising and the numbers have been pretty consistent for years,” said David Soo, the chief of staff at Jobs for the Future, a nonprofit organization focused on aligning educational and workforce needs to promote access to economic advancement. “It’s just that young people coming out of school often need a couple of years to get a foothold in the labor market, and then you start to see their unemployment and underemployment numbers come down. An investment in college is still the best one out there.”

Entrepreneurs (and child prodigies) are the very infrequent exception, not the rule. I object to this particular argument, though I will not address the main point of your thread at this time.

That less than 1 in 10,000 people that can skip college and be successful obviously means nothing for those far less talented (but average) people that need formal education of some sort.

So I object to this argument as a non sequitur, but again, I do not address your main point of the thread at this time.

Therein lies the problem. What people need and want are career guided degree programs that can be completed in one to two years.

Yes. Absolutely.

I spent 5 years in high school before I dropped out, 3 years in Community College a decade later, 2 years at UC Berkeley after I transferred, and then 3 years in law school.

And yes. It was all worth it.

That’s still what I view as part of the problem and it doesn’t change the fact that for most students most of coursework had little to no practical value and the overwhelming majority of the knowledge they acquired was shortly forgotten.

I can speak from experience - as both someone who didn’t go to college when all my cohort did and worked for a living, and someone who has spent the last decade in the higher education system.

Now there exists all sorts of bootcamps which are staggeringly less than a four year degree, but I am not sure how well it translates to job offers. Vocational two year programs are still a thing and should get more respect than they seem to earn

Nobody said that, did they?

Are you an expert?

In what?

The thesis of this thread is college isn’t worthwhile.

What your degree is in.

Is it?

No, definitely not. Not yet.

But I am on my way.

College degree didn’t make you an expert? When will you be there?

No, the degree just gets me in the door.

Expertise comes from experience.

It is also relative.

Ah, so we agree yet again!

It takes more than experience. Knowledge and training are also required.

Yes, that’s what law school is for.