AOC has an idea. I have a better one

They are already printing them for about 10k and that includes wiring, floors and a roof. They think it could come down to about 4k in the not to distant future. Of course that isn’t how we would do it, too many lobbyists that would prefer we spend a 100k or more on their materials, products and labor to build them the old fashioned way.

On the surface I agree. I simply meant I hadn’t read the details behind what Bernie and AOC are proposing regarding expanding public housing.

I don’t know what they mean.

Modernize 30 plus year old public housing.

Sounds like a winning idea to me.

Allan

Retrofit for green energy does not mean removal of mold and lead paint. In fact, it doesn’t mean improving anything. It simply means changing the heating/cooling systems and maybe the lighting. Well, unless she isn’t saying what she means … like Biden and his infrastructure Bill.

Nonsense. I was doing those things in the 80s. The only new thing that we didn’t have back then was LED lighting.

Cost is no object when you are spending other people’s money.

2 Likes

The White House has solar panels already.

Carter installed them. Reagn ripped them out. Obama put new ones in.

From the article:

The bill seeks to electrify and generally repair the over 1 million public housing units in the country, as well as remove environmental toxins like mold and lead from dwellings.

Yeah, I thought we mostly just back loans to those that commit to renting to low income, or something like that?

maybe we still own a bunch of the old style low income projects?

I don’t know…would like to know more about that though.

A worthwhile endeavor. Not green energy.

I’m not passing judgement on the bill, nor their justification of it.

Google says roughly 970k public housing units still active. Compared to I think it was around five million section eight. I thought the idea was to phase those out.

Totally agree with the OP. Every time some entitled public servant comes up with some great plan to “save”, “improve”, or “redefine”, my two-word response is: You first.

this makes me think of the HUD scam in the Sopranos.

Both the White house and the Hart capital building have solar panels on them.

Doesn’t count if they are still connected to the dirty grid. Would actually make good national security sense for them to be off grid and self sufficient in energy. Don’t know if they have the square footage for that though.

Yep, I read that. The link had not been posted when I commented. But it proves my speculation is correct … it goes way beyond green energy retrofitting … just like Biden’s infrastructure Bill.

Mold and lead removal, horrendously expensive. Again, be cheaper to bulldoze them and print new ones.

Yes, all that is true, but that has nothing to do with green energy. Her Bill is a sham.

And it doesn’t count if they are public buildings with the panels subsidized by my tax money. Those who believe in solar should maintain their private residences on that energy source. Foot the bill for your own convictions. Lead by example - If it is efficient, effectual and economical, consumers will be happy to follow.