Anyone but Trump! Orlando newspaper publishes scathing anti-Trump endorsement editorial hours before his re-election campaign launches in that city

Just prior to the beginning of Trump’s 2020 campaign on June 18, the historically Republican Orlando Sentinel, in the city where incidentally Trump is holding his speech tonight to start it, published a scathing anti-Trump endorsement for anyone but him.

Donald Trump is in Orlando to announce the kickoff of his re-election campaign.

We’re here to announce our endorsement for president in 2020, or, at least, who we’re not endorsing: Donald Trump.

Some readers will wonder how we could possibly eliminate a candidate so far before an election, and before knowing the identity of his opponent.

Because there’s no point pretending we would ever recommend that readers vote for Trump.

After 2½ years we’ve seen enough.

More:

Enough of the chaos, the division, the schoolyard insults, the self-aggrandizement, the corruption, and especially the lies.

So many lies — from white lies to whoppers — told out of ignorance, laziness, recklessness, expediency or opportunity.

Trump’s capacity for lying isn’t the surprise here, though the frequency is.

It’s the tolerance so many Americans have for it.

There was a time when even a single lie — a phony college degree, a bogus work history — would doom a politician’s career.

Not so for Trump, who claimed in 2017 that he lost the popular vote because millions of people voted illegally (they didn’t). In 2018 he said North Korea was no longer a nuclear threat (it is). And in 2019 he said windmills cause cancer (they don’t). Just last week he claimed the media fabricated unfavorable results from his campaign’s internal polling (it didn’t).

The Sentinel brought up Trump’s habit of lying:

According to a Washington Post database, the president has tallied more than 10,000 lies since he took office.

Trump’s successful assault on truth is the great casualty of this presidency, followed closely by his war on decency.

Trump insults political opponents and national heroes alike with middle-school taunts. He demonstrates no capacity for empathy or remorse. He misuses his office to punish opponents, as when he recently called for a boycott of AT&T to get even with his least favorite media outlet, CNN. He tears down institutions, once airily suggesting the U.S. should try having a leader for life as China now allows. He seems incapable of learning a lesson, telling an ABC interviewer last week — just two months after Robert Mueller’s report on election interference was released — that he would accept dirt on an opponent from Russia or China.

And more:

Trump has diminished our standing in the world. He reneges on deals, attacks allies and embraces enemies.

This nation must never forget that humiliating public moment in Helsinki in 2018 when the president of the United States chose to accept Vladimir Putin’s denials of Russian interference in the 2016 election over the unanimous assessment of the American intelligence community.

Such a betrayal by a U.S. president would have been the unforgivable political sin in normal times.

As if that’s not enough, Trump declares his love for North Korea’s Kim Jong-un, a genuine villain who starves and enslaves his people and executes his enemies with antiaircraft guns and flamethrowers.

But he wrote the president a “beautiful letter.” Flattery will get you everywhere with this president, and that’s dangerous.

The Sentinel made it clear that it wasn’t necessarily saying it would pick the Democrat, whoever it was.

This non-endorsement isn’t defaulting to whomever the Democrats choose. This newspaper has a history of presidential appointments favoring Republicans starting in the mid-20th century. Except for Lyndon Johnson in 1964, the Sentinel backed Republican presidential nominees from 1952 through 2004, when we recommended John Kerry over another four years of George W. Bush.

As recently as 2012 we recommended Republican Mitt Romney because of what seemed at the time to be Obama’s failure to adequately manage the nation’s finances.

If — however unlikely — a Republican like Romney, now a senator from Utah, or former Ohio Gov. John Kasich successfully primaried the president, we would eagerly give them a look. Same if an independent candidate mounted a legitimate campaign.

The editorial concluded with …

The nation must endure another 1½ years of Trump. But it needn’t suffer another four beyond that.

We can do better. We have to do better.

That we agree. We do.

How sweet it is! Thank you, Orlando Sentinel.

(Expect to see the Trumpies dismiss the Sentinel now for various reasons… )

2 Likes

Fake news, enemy of the people, the failing Orlando Sentinel. Take your pick as to what Trump will say.

Always makes me laugh that a man who has declared multiple bankruptcies, had a failed university, failed steak line etc has the audacity to use the word fail as an insult.

1 Like

Trump has been running for re-election the day after he won.

There are still newspapers?

Never Trump, what can I say. They don’t speak for mainstream Republicans.

I know that. It’s funny that he feels the need to make it official. Just another reality show.

Yup. Unfortunately for Trump.

Pfft, they endorsed Democrats in three out of the last four Presidential elections. Left wing garbage in, left wing garbage out.

1 Like

Romney’s a Democrat? You must have missed this.

This newspaper has a history of presidential appointments favoring Republicans starting in the mid-20th century. Except for Lyndon Johnson in 1964, the Sentinel backed Republican presidential nominees from 1952 through 2004, when we recommended John Kerry over another four years of George W. Bush.

As recently as 2012 we recommended Republican Mitt Romney because of what seemed at the time to be Obama’s failure to adequately manage the nation’s finances.

Haha you bought that spin?

from Orlando Sentinel - Wikipedia

Editorially, it has historically tilted conservative; however, it has endorsed Democratic candidates for president in three of the last four presidential elections: John Kerry in 2004, Barack Obama in 2008, and Hillary Clinton in 2016.

You know anyone can edit Wikipedia, right? It’s not a good source. LOL. But did you notice your source said just what I did? That while it has endorsed some Democratic candidates it has traditionally been a Republican paper.

Most of Trump’s biggest sycophants now were speaking out against him early on in the process when they realized how much of a joke he is. They only pretend to support him now because they are terrified of alienating the base that has been brainwashed by talk radio and Fox News.

5 Likes

There you go frothing at the mouth again.

Discussing objective reality from the 2016 election process is not “frothing”. People like Graham and Rubio told us how dangerous and unfit Trump was. They now line up to kiss his backside because it is politically advantageous to them.

If anyone sees that as leadership I feel sorry for them.

Hillary Clinton was the conservative in that race.

My only problem with the Orlando Sentinel’s comments is they shouldn’t have beaten about the bush. Sugar coating Trump’s presidency does a disservice to the readers of their newspaper.

As an aside I was reading where Trump is contemplating a change to his slogan for his 2020 campaign. I hope, though I doubt it, that the supporters of Trump realise that this is nothing more than a merchandising exercise.

That’s why we refer to the paper as the Orlando Slantinal here in Orlando.

It’s been a left-leaning newspaper since I moved here in 1998.

His whole candidacy and subsequent term in office has been nothing BUT that. This is no leader.

Interesting … anyone who disagrees with Trump is either a “hater” or a “Never Trump”-er. So Republicans – or for that matter no one – can disagree with Trump and if they do, they get classified into a minority group. This is pretty frightening and pretty indicative of what Trumpers will do. Another reason why Trump must be defeated. So we can rid the nation of the cancer in the White House. And if Trump has taken over “mainstream Republicans” the gopers have a huge problem they need to get rid of. I stand with George Will on that one. Trump needs to go.

1 Like

For people that can read.

5 Likes