Any Job, Any Job at all?

If you could have any job in the world. What would you chose and why?

I’d be a veterinarian, because I love animals, and want to help them, and have a soft spot for them in my heart.
They give a person unconditional love, and just want some attention occasionally,
food, shelter, water.
I’m pretty sure it’s a true statistic that having a pet helps with a persons life span,
because of the happiness factor. When I use to live with my uncle for like 10 years, he has an acre of land, and lives on a country road. Sometimes cats get dumped out there. We took in several stray cats and made them outdoor indoor cats. At night we’d leave food out for any other animals. Some possums, raccoons, skunks, deer, and other animals would come in the back yard to eat sometimes.

Unfortunately, one of the worst parts about living on a country road, where people normally drive 60-70 mph in a 55, sometimes animals get ran over. I would never intentionally harm an animal, not unless they were suffering, and there suffering needed to be ended. One time one of our cats went missing for a day or two. We kept looking for it. Finally I saw it on the road. It’s guts were hanging out of it, but somehow it was still alive, because it was blinking and breathing. Part of its body was extremely crushed. I knew that it was going to die, so I took it in the back, and cut its head of with a shovel. That was about the third time in about 10 years that I cried. I buried it after that.

1 Like

There is actually 1 exception. I love fried catfish, and love to go fishing.
There’s just something peaceful to me about casting a line out, opening a sodee pop,
bringing some snacks, and just sitting back and relaxing. If I catch something cool, if
not that’s fine also. I use to fish a lot.

Veterinarian is a noble profession. I think if I could redo my life I’d go into teaching, specifically foreign languages.

I speak two languages in addition to English as well as a beginner command of a third. Teaching a skill to another is perfectly honorable work.

Adult ed teaching might even ensure a class of people who want to learn that language rather than students who must be there for two years, usually to fulfill that requirement of a college prep course of study.

Day trade. You generally only need to work half a day depending on how much money you want to make. Then use the rest of the day to volunteer more noble pursuits

I could never be a vet as I couldn’t handle having to put animals down even when its the kind thing to do. I’d also end up adopting way too many that came through needing a better home.

My dream job would be whatever it is that Paris Hilton does.

2nd dream job would be professional baseball player. I like football and basketball better but both are harder on your health, especially football. Baseball though unless your a pitcher odds are you’ll retire fully healthy. I actually could have been a professional baseball player if not for my lack coordination, size, depth perception, and ability to hit a pitch.

Supreme Court Justice.

Any job that I can go to every day and know what to expect. Have little to no responsibility and be paid well above what most would expect. I’m not hard to please. I have no regrets and wouldn’t change a thing.

Veterinarian is a great job. But not for me I don’t think it breaks my heart too much to see animals suffer. Don’t know if helping them could overcome how I would feel when I couldn’t help.

Pretty much why I don’t think I could be a doctor for us humans.

The one i have now. Because it’s ■■■■■■■ awesome.

Why wouldn’t the job you have now be the one you would choose out of any other in the world?

I have long thought my dream job would be a one two combination of what Charles Kuralt and Anthony Bourdain both brought to our lives.

I think though before I ever explored foreign soil I would want to cover in depth all of America’s 50 states and her territories.

The job would be an episodic documentary of me and my wife going to all the states and tracking down their uniqueness in their distinct regions, at the individual level, seeing what makes them all tick, seeing what they put out when they set a spread. We would be digging deeply into the fabric of us, all over the U.S…

Charles Kuralt

http://www.rememberingcharleskuralt.com

Anthony Bourdain

(Without the tragic mental baggage he carried, of course.)

The job I’ve now is enjoyable & puts food on the table & some benefits.

It’s a field with limited competition, where it isn’t easy to find other work if let go or quit voluntarily.

Professionals like teachers and nurses are usually needed somewhere.

Heck, since I do lead some stretching exercises before the shift, I might even get specific licensure to teach personal fitness classes. I’ve been told I missed my calling & should have done that.

You must be an engineer. :wink:

I love my career in agri-business.

However, my close second choice would have been law, but I would have pursued a path that hopefully would have eventually landed me on a United States Court of Appeals or at least a United States District Court.

I would not have cared for the private practice of law, unless it was with a litigation boutique type firm, perhaps with time spent as an Assistant United States Attorney to pick up experience on the criminal law side. Litigating in court and then eventually appellate judicial service would have been my dream job, had I taken the law route.

A mathematician and an engineer are sitting at a table drinking when a very beautiful woman walks in and sits down at the bar.

The mathematician sighs. “I’d like to talk to her, but first I have to cover half the distance between where we are and where she is, then half of the distance that remains, then half of that distance, and so on. The series is infinite. There’ll always be some finite distance between us.”

The engineer gets up and starts walking. “Ah, well, I figure I can get close enough for all practical purposes.”

I’ve been working my dream job for 40+ years. Wouldn’t change a thing if I had a chance for a do over.

I would rather not argue with anyone in this thread. It was meant to be a happy thread for everyone.

In seriousness, a job that I could have done and would have done if I knew then what I know now is some sort of police forensics. And unlike most who watch CSI and think “ooh cool job, thats what I want to do” I’ve never watched CSI and I actually know first hand what the forensic people really do vs what they are seen doing on TV.

I often get to solve the most vexing of problems in extremely difficult residential construction scenarios. One example might be jacking up and rebuilding a 150 year old mansion on the verge of collapse. It has the potential for disaster at all times, requires intense concentration and seat of the pants engineering, and there are rewarding milestones every step of the way. Sometimes something as mundane sounding as “I got that post in today”. When you have to suspend an entire section of a house in the air so that masons can safely put a new foundation under it, sometimes getting in a single post can be a week long challenge depending on site conditions and the house itself. I sometimes think I have the coolest job in the world, but then there are those “other” days LOL………

Supreme Court Justice Safiel.