And Kentucky’s going the other way on voting access

“Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear (D) signed into law Wednesday a bill that expands voting access, making his state an outlier as others with GOP-held legislatures pass a string of restrictions.

Beshear, who unseated a Republican governor in 2018 and is running for reelection this year, signed a measure that will establish three days of early voting, stand up voting centers to provide more options for in-person voting and open a digital portal for voters to register and apply for ballots. It also allows voters to retroactively fix issues with absentee ballots.”

Good job, Kentucky.

Making it easier for people to vote.

All states should strive to make it easier to vote not harder.

Allan

I support making voting easier.

1 Like

I think we can all agree that everybody wants everybody to vote…who does so legally. It’s when processes are put into place that alter that goal or make it easier to vote illegally that then becomes a problem.

4 Likes

Umm, doesn’t Georgia have 17 days as opposed to their 3 days of early voting?

2 Likes

Kentucky expanding, Georgia contracting.

Allan

1 Like

Err no, pretty sure Georgia expanded early voting.

1 Like

here are the facts.

The bill requires counties to have at least two Saturdays of early voting, with the option of offering voting on Sundays as well. Previously, Georgia required only one Saturday of early voting. Many of the larger counties, where most Georgia voters live, already offered early voting on two Saturdays, but the new law will expand access to early voting in many of the smaller, more rural counties. Counties must operate early voting from at least 9 a.m. until 5 p.m., but can offer it from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. if they choose to offer expanded hours.

For most people in Georgia early voting remains the same.

For some rural counties you are correct. Early voting is required to expand.

Allan

I like it!

Kentucky already has a pretty strict voter id law, which is probably why they had bipartisan consensus and little strife during the drafting of this legislation.

1 Like