An interesting sociological phenomenon that exacerbates income inequality

From a male perspective, at least in my opinion, most men value a woman’s appearance over everything else. So when a man seeks a mate he’s not thinking about what type of retirement nest egg they are going to build and by and large don’t care that much about the type of job she has. Women on the other hand tend to be more practical. How often do you see younger women with older (20-30 years) financially secure men compared to younger men with older financially secure women? So that’s part of the reason why women don’t typically downgrade (so to speak).

Not sure how men working skilled trades, as described in the O P, are considered “beta males”. But it does seem like feminism has helped generate a lot of men who aren’t too motivated to get ahead professionally.

Seems the attitude is, at least with some, why bother when the GF or wife can get good jobs with benefits? Those most likely to be bragging about earning more sitting at home on furlough were not women, or people at risk for poor outcome from COVID 19, but able bodied men.

Here is another disturbing sign: For First Time In 130 Years, More Young Adults Live With Parents Than With Partners : The Two-Way : NPR.

Young men are more likely to still be living with their parents than young women. And it doesn’t seem they’re as oriented towards marriage as they once were.

I didn’t say they were.

In fact, I would suggest there is a far lower concentration of beta males in trade jobs.

The propagation of beta males coming out of college is one reason for the remaining options for women (which is what I quoted and responded to).

Never

He said typically. Generally speaking women want a man who is economically equal to them or higher. Also as studies have shown women who have a college degree are not interest in men who don’t have college degrees.

His post would indicate he was responding to the question.

Not just this generation. I know a number of men in their 50’s and 60’s without jobs and living with their 80-90 year old mothers.

That’s pretty bad.

A little bit off topic but here goes:

Often cited are statistics showing many students who start college fail to finish. Those numbers are sometimes used as arguments against higher education.

I was wondering was this lady, who performed with Johnny Mathis, was still alive:

It’s interesting to note she started off wanting a career in nursing. I wouldn’t say I’m totally against higher education, but, IMO, I think those who fail to complete a degree , like Ms. Williams, deserve some credit.

They’ve started out with a goal, realized it wasn’t them, or, like her, that they weren’t particularly good students. & withdrew before they could get too far down the rabbit hole & in debt. In withdrawal they discovered work that didn’t necessarily require college.

Our host hasn’t exactly suffered not finishing college. He’s don’t pretty well for himself, really.