An interesting sociological phenomenon that exacerbates income inequality

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Fine, let’s see the correlation posing as causation.

I understand the reality although one can make the argument that sort of thinking is pompous and/or elitist.

I would refer you to some studies, but…

I could only speak personally as I’m getting older I just want more of my “own” time. Although I have a unique situation as I have a special needs child.

You can find numerous studies on this:

But as with much medical science the evidence has a degree of uncertainty.

Yes there is.

No there isn’t.

No there isn’t.

Yes there is.

This is more on the level of children than adults. Can someone present their side with a link?

I’ve presented my links. Of all the families I’ve known with an older father, exactly one has a severely autistic son. Their two other children are not autistic.

And the wife had a history of more than one sibling with mental delays and severe illness. Heredity is thought to play a part:

When Autism Has no Known Cause.

I hope your child is doing well.

1 Like

Rates were also higher among the children of teen moms, and among children whose parents have a relatively large gap between their ages.

:rofl: Like I said…

No evidence.

In hindsight my choice of wording was not the best but regarding the connection:

“The researchers also reported that the chance is 50 percent higher when the parents are in their 40s or 50s.”

Correlation, not causation.

I’m not sure it’s either. It’s so common that I believe it has to be something else. My wife for example is neither of those things, and had I met her 5-10 years later, when she got her degree and became management, I highly doubt she would have dated a toll collector or road maintenance person. It’s just not what women do.

Hey everyone, I would like to ask to please refocus the discussion on the OP and hence to move on from the discussion regarding Autism. Thanks!

I was inputting a bit a sarcasm there. Nonetheless the college degree phenomenon (or whatever it should be called) has indeed prompted a form of segregation to those who are “educated” to those who are not.

I don’t want to come off as being too judgmental here, although one could. Nonetheless, there is a sociological shift with a segment of women today who will not date men who work in a trade. My wife and I know women who feel that way. What’s interesting in these articles that I have been reading is highlighting how more women go to college than men, but what they don’t acknowledge is that men have more economic opportunities outside of college that women don’t seek. Trades, that pay good money - many of which pay more than a typical undergrad degree - are dominated by men. Given that fact alone it’s no surprise more women are college than men.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words. It is indeed a struggle physically and emotionally.

Sounds like the women you and your wife know are in the expecting too much, then complaining that there aren’t any good men out there phenomenon.

He’s available; stable; and there’s an attraction between us, but, :sob: he works a trade. He didn’t attend college. :sob:

They’ll be in this category :sob: for a long time with expectations like that. And these are financially stable men with trades they can take anywhere.

Why do you think she wouldn’t have? I mean what would be the reason’s from your perspective? Here’s my thoughts. Part of it is because people tend to identify themselves (who they are) by their occupation - “I’m a doctor” “I’m a lawyer” “I’m a scientist”, etc. This is also more of a modern sociological phenomenon. Back in the day what your occupation was was simply how you earned a living, for most people anyway. It’s almost as much about stature and recognition, if not more, than it is about money. Regarding my comment before that it’s being pompous or elitist, maybe their not the best terms but there is a component of it.

I really can’t pinpoint it. I think it might have something to do with the past. There was a time when men worked and took care of the family. That was never a woman’s job unless she was alone.

You’ll see male Doctor’s marry female nurses. You’ll rarely if ever see it in reverse. As far as, I’m a doctor, I’m a lawyer, I’m a scientist, a lot of it is because of the frequency they are around each other just gives it a better chance. But as far as downgrading, men often do, women rarely do. I’m not sure as to why.

Current educational/sociological paradigms create too many beta males. And/or males with little-to-no ambition.

That leaves a huge pool of “marry-down” candidates, and a dwindling pool of men who have better potential to make good fathers and husbands and providers.

1 Like