All religions (or lack thereof) are equally valid

In Tractate Bava Batra, Reish Lakish says that Satan, the yetzer hara and the Angel of Death are all one. Maimonides, the medieval Jewish philosopher, endorses this position in his Guide for the Perplexed. The word Satan, Maimonides writes, derives from the Hebrew root for “turn away.” Like the evil inclination, Satan’s function is to divert human beings from the path of truth and righteousness. Maimonides seems not to believe Satan actually exists, but rather that he is a symbol of the inclination to sin. The entire Book of Job, he writes, is fictional, intended merely to elucidate certain truths about divine providence. And even if it is true, Maimonides continues, certainly the portion in which God and Satan speak with each other is merely a parable.

In the first chapter of the book of Job, Job is introduced as a man from a specific location: the country of Uz. The book also goes into great detail about Job’s finances and family. While it is possible that these might simply be vivid details of a parable, such particulars were not common in ancient allegorical literature. The general way that Job, the man, is described suggests that this was a real person.

The Old Testament consistently refers to Job as though he were a real, historical person. In Ezekiel 14:14 and 20, God mentions Noah, Daniel, and Job as examples of righteousness. The context of this statement would not make sense if Job were merely a literary figure. The assumption of this text is that Job was as real as Noah and Daniel.

“Got Questions” is really the wrong source to use tho price anything to me. Got anything better?

Ok. We are discussing any ancient Jewish scripture. Who’s opinion would have more credibility?
A modern day Christian who may or may not have any formal training in scripture, and the culture and traditions of the time in which it was written.

A well respected Jewish scholar who grew up in that culture, received formal training in the scripture and had bed studying it most of his life.

Hmmmm… The Christian isn’t going to come out ahead in this.

That’s the whole point. There was no mistake. In order for the topside pattern to be perfect, the underside had to look less than perfect.

Those of us who believe God is creator, also trust in His ways.

??? An all-powerful God can’t make a rub that looks perfect on both sides? Doesn’t sound all-powerful to me.

But to escape analogies for a second, can’t God test someone’s faith without killing a lot of innocent women and children?

He does every day.

Yes

10 characters

So why kill innocent children?

Mysterious wayyysss

Ask the wind that blew the house down.

But we are not talking about the wind, are we? We are talking about when God made a bet to test Job’s faith resulting in the death of Job’s wife and kids as a test. Are you saying God bears no blame in this?

Good thing God made it all better by giving Job a new wife and new kids. Let me ask you, Meriweather, would that make it all better for you?

We’re not discussing the same story. You’ve made up your own version.

Again, conversations work well when you directly answer questions

I’m going by what the Bible says. If Job is someone else to you, perhaps just an advisor to Pharoah, then enlightenn us.

As I remarked yesterday, no you are not going by the Bible. You have yet to answer these questions:

What was the author’s intent/purpose in writing the story of Job?
What was the people’s knowledge/concept of God at that time?

What is your own purpose for scoffing at the story of Job?
What is your own knowledge/concept of God?

The way international believe the devil is the god of the earth, i forget the exact biblical reference though.

And God spoke all these words:

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

3 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me.

Seems pretty specific.

Yeah thats what i was saying to a friend of mine who was part of it. They didnt worship the devil but they believe the devil has powers to control the weather, and create natural disasters. I think it was their attempt to shrug off any blame or harm that god caused.