All religions (or lack thereof) are equally valid

Not really. The story addresses events and issues which test anyone’s faith. Naturally, no one is going to kill their wife and children to test their own faith. Yet wives and children die. The story was written in a time where God is the known giver of life, and God is to whom the spirit returns upon death. “God called him home,” is a sentiment that is still used. God created this world knowing not all that is involved in physical life is always friendly, always positive. Still, all life belongs to God, returns to God, so in that regard people of all ages have regarded God as responsible. Throughout our journey in this physical life, this physical world, God calls and encourages us to have faith in Him–that, in the end, all will be well for those who place their trust in Him.

I’d call this an unacceptable religion. Kind of a gross read, so you are warned.

“The Aztecs claimed that they sacrificed 84,000 people over a period of four days. During the reign of the Aztecs, an estimated 250,000 people were sacrificed across Mexico during an average year.”

Yeah the Aztecs were some brutal bastards.

That’s why the other neighboring tribes were more than happy to throw their manpower behind Cortes.

Many local floods, were they created in the same time frame? I know the epic of gilgamesh predates it.

The Sumerian kings list, lists the kings before and after the deluge. Jewish scribes probably picked up the story up when held captive in Babylon.

and you can understand why the Spanish tried to get rid of all things to do with it.

Yeah.

Bad thing was that like most conquerors the Spanish went way overboard on the other non Aztec people in Central America.

Yes, they were pretty militant and war like after 700 years of fighting Islam in Spain.

I appreciate the explanation. Seems God has the green light to kill anyone at any time for any reason, be they man, woman, child, or infant.

How can you know that God is the good guy?

It’s funny, when they think they out smarted God.

[quote=“Borgia, post:369, topic:150”]
I appreciate the explanation. Seems God has the green light to kill anyone at any time for any reason, be they man, woman, child, or infant. [/quote]

Shrug. Old Testament scripture flat out says God is the reason. For both. As it is His creation. Back then they were wise enough to recognize that the top side also has an underside. Ever seen a large, hand woven rug? The underside may have clumps of thread that seem to have no value at all. Yet is all part of the pattern and design of the rug. Would you argue that since the underside of a rug has blemishes, the rug should not have been created at all?

In ancient days, mankind was humble enough to admit they did not know, could not see the entire plan or the finished plan. Today, arrogance often replaces that humbleness, that we know better than anyone, we even know better than God.

1 Like

[quote=“Meriweather, post:371, topic:150, full:true”]

[quote=“Borgia, post:369, topic:150”]
I appreciate the explanation. Seems God has the green light to kill anyone at any time for any reason, be they man, woman, child, or infant. [/quote]

Shrug. Old Testament scripture flat out says God is the reason. For both. As it is His creation. [/quote]

Again, God can do whatever he wants with his creation. It doesn’t make what he does moral.

[quote]
Back then they were wise enough to recognize that the top side also has an underside. Ever seen a large, hand woven rug? The underside may have clumps of thread that seem to have no value at all. Yet is all part of the pattern and design of the rug. Would you argue that since the underside of a rug has blemishes, the rug should not have been created at all? [/quote]
Not sure I buy your analogy but isn’t God powerful enough to make the top and underside of the rug blemish free if he wanted to? He chose to add the blemishes to his creation.

The arrogance is in claiming that you know GOD.

Why can’t the rug maker make the underside blemish free? Should those who have never woven a rug tell someone else how to do it better?

the Book of Job actually was real. It actually happened.

Christians do not believe the devil/satan is equal to God.

because you say it is?

And Jews do not believe the devil exists. In Jewish thought, the idea that there exists anything capable of setting itself up as God’s opponent would be considered overly polytheistic—you are setting up the devil to be a god or demigod.

If they see the rug maker making easily fixable mistakes shouldn’t they speak up?

Again why cant you just directly answer the question?