All religions (or lack thereof) are equally valid

Matthew 23:9 | View whole chapter | See verse in context

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Mr Gooddad409, you didn’t answer my question.

As to your fascination with that passage, try this. It’s a good read.

All I am getting is a catholic home page wanting a donation.

Besides given the choice of obeying the command from Jesus on the subject or the catholic church.

I’m going with the scriptures and Jesus every single time.

There is an X in the upper left hand corner of the request for donations which will close that page to you. Here are a couple of scriptures the article mentions.

“**I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel” (1 Cor. 4:14–15). **

****John said, “My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but if any one does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous” (1 John 2:1); “No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my children follow the truth” (3 John 4). In fact, John also addresses men in his congregations as “fathers” (1 John 2:13–14).

Sadly, you know nothing of the Catholic faith. Handing someone a ball of yarn and calling it “crochet” doesn’t make it so. I know people who actually understand the Catholic faith but choose to walk away from it. Whatever it is you think you are walking away from it is not the Catholic faith. Just saying.

With all due respect i know what the bible teaches and strive to follow it closely. The catholic church has a great deal of tradition.

You have said sadly several times and to be honest i have the same feeling towards catholics.

I do however respect the catholic churches pro life stand very much.

I am not accusing you of not following Biblical teachings. I am certain you are sincere in your faith. You have very little understanding of the Catholic faith is all, and how closely it adheres to scripture. And to traditions formed prior to New Testament books being written.

One can’t walk away from something he never walked toward. I have idle curiosity because my sister in law talks so much about the catholic church when we visit. We are polite. I usually say nothing and my wife is either silent or sometimes tells her sister that she disagrees.

I am quite happy where i do worship.Have been a christian for 45 of my 65 years. Was quite active(as a deacon etc) till recent years when age and aches and pains started catching up. Mostly just worship these days.

Eh Protestants don’t have clean hands.

Both sides were brutal towards each other.

To be fair to the Protestants, the Catholics started the butchery. The Protestants responded with equal or even greater butchery in some cases.

One only has to look at what we today call Germany to see where Catholic/Protestant hatred leads. Germany lost nearly half of its population due to both sides deciding to exterminate each other.

Both Christian groups, specifically their ancestors, have bloody hands.

The Trouble in Ireland wasn’t that long ago.

Nope.

Going by body count the 30 Years War in Germany wins by a country mile though.

No argument there.

I love the way you guys declare all noncatholics as “protestants” and then lump all “protestants” into one pile.

Then use the 2 wrongs equal a right argument. :roll_eyes: The Catholic Church had absolute power at times during the middle ages and abused it terribly.

Jesus certainly didn’t advocate for forced belief nor violence towards those who refused to believe or believed differently.

In fact he told the disciples to go and spread the Gospel unto the whole world and to those towns who refused to believe to shake the dust off their feet and move on.

1 Like

It’s just the historical descriptor. There are so many non catholic denominations that it’s easier to group them together. Otherwise every post would be ten miles long simply naming off the groups.

Also, I like the term Protestant. When I was strong with faith I wore that badge proud. I’ll admit I held a very strong distaste for Catholics for a long time. It was a result of my upbringing; rural southerners tend to be distrustful of Catholics at best. My grandmother still has a strong dislike for Catholicism. It is what it is.

It’s not a two wrongs scenario. Both sides did some horrible things to each other. The fact that there is relative peace between Catholics and Protestants today is something to be celebrated.

Christ’s teachings on peaceful conversion were generally ignored by the “clergy” for over a thousand years.

Interesting how offense was taken where none was offered. I’m noticing this is a pattern with that person.

Irony meter going off.

Ignored by the clergy controlled mostly by the CC for those thousand years. As for Protestant i don’t particulary like it because it seems to designate that they are protesting against the CC when in point of fact they generally just ignore the CC.

I am just happy simply following the scriptures in our church in peace.

As you wish

As I observe.

Can you provide any example?