Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez might have been mistaken on we only have 12 years

So when are these effects going to happen? Hasn’t in 30 years from the dire warnings. Will it be in another 30?

And how can you say for certain that the things predicted wouldn’t happen if man wasn’t around at all? Look at the past record, warming and cooling, and the several times the warming cycles have NATURALLY gotten warmer.

So again, what should we be spending money on that needs cleaned up?

The prescient parts of that article is amazing.

Brown suggested that compensating Brazil, Indonesia and Kenya for preserving rain forests may be necessary.

1 Like

What is great here is taking one article about what one guy said and extrapolating it out to mean OMG … LOOK… IT IS ALL FRAUD.

What has been agreed on by nearly all scientists who have looked into it, is that pulling carbon out of the ground and burning it has a long time negative effect on the climate of the planet.

That would be fine… but this is the only place in the universe where we can live.

This is the thing that I don’t understand though.

There is a ■■■■ ton of money that can be made from shifting a carbon based economy onto relying more on renewable energy but for some reason, people are reluctant to go with the forward march of technology and cling to the past… even when it has been shown that continued use at the pace of what we are doing will be harmful to future generations.

But it is all okay.

Just have comfort, that we have lived in the short period of human history where we got the benefit of burning carbon and didn’t have to fully pay the cost.

Do you think scientists are unaware of past warming and cooling trends?

What is causing the warming today if not CO2? We can see the fingerprint of CO2. It’s a well known greenhouse gas, identified over a hundred years ago.

If any of them were serious about global warming they would be talking about the massive emissions coming from Asia specifically China, India, and Indonesia. Throw in Russia for good measures.

The United States and the EU can’t solve this problem alone only throw money down the drain unless China and India and the rest of these coal driven countries slow down. Hell China and Indonesia dump more plastic in the ocean then the rest of the world combined. China emits more emissions than the EU and the United States combined. None of them address this elephant in the room.

I think you mean the so called abnormal warming. Because the warming today is caused by the same thing that has caused the earth to warm in regular cycles.

Well so far a lot of the predictions from EVERYONE has falled flat. I mean even that UN council keeps revising estimated global warming every couple years because it doesn’t even hit their “best case” projection (you know if EVERYONE was doing EVERYTHING they recommended).

So do volcanoes, forrest fires, and all sorts of other natural things. Even changed in the sun’s output have more effect on the Earth. And we don’t even know what spinning around the black hole at the center of the galixie does, nor the galexie moving in the Universe.

As things become reliable and affordable people are like me and make changes. As many lights as I can in my home (aka affordable) I’ve switched over to LED bulbs. Even now have a couple of “tube LED” bulbs that replaced the old floresent tubes in my kitchen. Since they had to replace the balists and everything even if I wanted to remain with floresent tubes, it added about 100 bucks to the costs of getting light back into my kitchen. So the other 4 or 5 fixtures are still floresent until the balasts in them go kaput. This year when I bought a new lawnmower . . . the cost of an electric mower was only %40 more than a combustion engine. So I’ve gone “green” when cutting the lawn. As an added bonus, they sell a converter that hooks to the batter that so I can take it camping and keep the cell phone charged and run the lap top. Bonus. In another thread over in outside the beltway you’ll find that I’ve ordered an electric people moving thing to try and master to use next summer to go to work and back.

When people see it’s worth the cost, and doesn’t add too much extra in cost . . . they will switch. Forcing them before the technology is ready isn’t the answer.

Yes, humans have existed only a very short period in Earths history. It’s like an 80 year old man going to the Doctor. The doctor observing him for an hour and proclaiming to know what is normal about him and what is abnormal.

I’m sure they know of past warming.

But riddle me this: How many data points are used for say the year 1,000 BC? In those data points for the year, how many different days are the observations? How many different points in the atmosphere are these data points collected from?

Now riddle me this, How many data points are used for 2018? In those data points for the year, how many different days are the observations? How many different points in the atmosphere are these data points collected from?

A few weeks ago or so there was a thread about the burning amazon, suggesting it’s an act of global terrorism. (I think that’s what it was.)

A suggestion in the thread was military action to stop Brazil from burning it.

(For the record, I’m more concerned about what the Amazon means to the overall global ecosystem than about manmade global warming itself.)

Being a person who believes in property rights, when a property owner wants to do something with his property that others decry, there are two options. Get authorities to stop him from doing it, or buy the property yourself and do what you think is right with it. (I support the latter.)

So maybe if the world overall is worried about these lands, everyone should pitch in and compensate tropical countries for their lost revenue as a result of preserving the land. We all buy it from them and preserve it.

The alternative is using world-police force of some sort to stop them.

What other options do we have to stop Brazil from burning it all up?

And what was that?

What caused the regular cycles of warming and cooling before man had any impact at all on the environment? Your guess is as good as mine, and probably as good as the scientists who study it. It would be mearly a hypothosis.

And as for the so called “hockey stick”.

Again, remember what I asked in observation points. You’ll notice that starts about the time of the space age where they can take pinpoint measurments just about any place on the earth, and from the ground to the high atmosphere.

So you have no idea but you know it is the same for our current warming cycle. Perhaps you should consult climate scientists to see what the evidence is for the prevailing theory?

They can measure surface air temperatures from space?

I’m shocked that ocean going vessels can still navigate around the myriad of drowned polar bears floating ashore…

It’s not a hoax.

Even in the 80’s the Oil companies knew what was going on.

The IT’S ALL A HOAX is because of money that they spent muddying the waters.

It seems that they it was money really well spent.

1 Like

I agree. If we want to see the large rain forests as global resources to be protected, then that should be compensated.

When that has been talked about in the past the scare words have been “wealth transfer”

I’m sure the countries in the Middle East will be lining up to pay.

maybe not so much of a hoax as it is great big global scale scam

…and prior, it was the impending ice age.

Politicians will do and say anything necessary to gain power and money…except a real job, earning it honestly in the private sector.

I can’t tell where republicans heads are at anymore.

They tell me climate change is fake and they have to shoot elephants and lions for conservation.

They tell me they hate invasive species like zebra mussles turning their docks into knives and their lakes into swamps, but they want to remove regulation of mines, smelters along our waterways.

They tell me don’t worry God will fix it but they bemoan being unable to eat the CWD deer they shot or the fresh water fish they caught, and bitch about having mercury poison in the sea food.

Weird bunch.

1 Like