Alcohol Detection Systems Will Now Be Mandatory In All New Vehicles

Ai, microphones and cameras.

It wasn’t an analogy, it was a wish…I don’t like watching fat people drive, they jiggle too much.

1 Like

Nope, won’t work, touch sensors on the steering wheel and AI learning your baseline driving reactions.

If it’s anything like the YouTube algorithm…

What’s AI going to do? What if someone else is driving?

Do touch sensors read through gloves?

Says someone who has probably never been out of the city except on a freeway/highway.

Go out to real SE Illinois, was out there at a cousins place for a family reunion. I was lucky to get 1 bar, go to the mountains of West Virginia away from the cities and you can forget getting a cell signal. I don’t care what the “coverage maps” show. Even they state that not all areas “covered” will actually get a signal.

Good point, on campus in several buildings if you don’t connect to the wifi, forget it. They have dual-authentication for email and the software used to get into your courses to submit homework, etc. I had to tell my math Prof ( with PhD) that he had to go near the window to get a signal so he could complete the authentication process. This is ON campus. They REALLY need to install cell repeaters in these buildings.

1 Like

Same with the hiking trails in the mountains of North Carolina. You’re not getting a signal. There’s a whole swath out there in the western part of the state.

Wow, only thing I can say is I am so very sorry you have to go through this. I cannot even begin to imagine what you and your family is going through.

I do have to say though we NEED to treat these individuals as addicts. Repeat offenders have a disease that needs treatment. Yes, I agree they should be jailed and charged with aggravated assault at a minimum, especially for repeat offenders.

First time offenders, depending on the situation should be handled differently. If they cause an accident and people are hurt or killed charge them as I stated above, if pulled over before anyone gets hurt, fines, mandatory education about what they did, etc. I have personal experienced this when my daughter got a DUI a few years ago, she was watching a MMA fight and only had 2 beers over several hours, as she is not a heavy drinker, problem is timing for her. She finished her last beer just before she headed home. Not being from here she was not familiar with the area and the speed limit drops from 35 to 25 and the cops love to sit there and pull people over. She got pulled over and was picked up. She went thru the process, paid her fines, and learned her lesson.

Alcoholics unfortunately are a different case, just like that heroin addict, all they want is that next fix and nothing else matters. Unfortunately, until they can admit they have a problem, nothing society can do will help. Only thing we can do is put them behind bars, that is the ONLY way they will be prevented from re-offending and putting others in danger. Treatment should be mandatory, but, as we all know, until they can admit to themselves that they are an alcoholic, treatment will not work.

My daughter-inlaw is dealing with this now. She had a sponsor when they were in Cali, but my daughter is now stationed in Florida, and her wife had been struggling to find a local sponsor. Last time we talked about this she finally got a local sponsor, she just has to get over being embarrassed to call for help.

I do believe alcoholism is very hard to keep in check.
To me, this has zero to do with operating a motor vehicle while impaired.
If you have been drinking DO NOT DRIVE. Its not that hard.

This thread is about breathalyzers in every vehicle. It may save lives. But at what cost to people who do not drink and drive. I can see this being an infringement on people who do not drink and drive.

I am very sorry for people who are trying to better themselves and trying to beat their addictions and are struggling to find help. I just think the person who killed my son should do it from behind bars for the rest of his life.
Again, everyone with a drivers license ( or at one time had one) knows not to drink and drive. I’m going to say that 99% of the people can follow the 1 drink an hour. If you are tiny, don’t. If you are leaving soon, don’t. Make arrangements ahead of time. And if you can’t, then Don’t!

I am only commenting on this thread because I felt the way everyone else did about this subject, until this happened to our family. Most people cannot fathom what losing a child is like. I am living my worst nightmare because of 1 person who chose to drink and drive. I was given a life sentence.

I agree with you. But only strict consequences can prevent people from doing it. I mentioned the 90 day sentence for a 1st offense. You weren’t impressed. But it had an impact on me. I’m not going anywhere after drinking.

There are way too many alternate options today instead of choosing to drive buzzed. No reason to do it.

1 Like

I am happy you decided not to drive and drive. And amazingly 90 days might have done it for you. Sadly, that is not the case for most.

Most reoffend.

The person who killed my son did not have any drunk driving offenses on his record. What he did have was small town cops catch him drinking and driving and sending him home …multiple times.
I hold them responsible as well. It was only a matter of time.

Have to admit to drinking and driving myself when I was a teen. Same thing, the cops would just pour out our beer and send us home. But that was pre MADD when it was very common. That they would do it today is a totally different story. Luckily I never injured anyone, something I am very grateful for.

Before I got to this paragraph, I was thinking about the time when the ABS module on my '99 Intrigue went to poop. Cascade would’ve been an understatement. lol

Hmm, I think I can turn it off in my 2003 Infiniti coupe. Should I?

Half the vehicles I ever drove had no ABS. Never once skidded the tires. :man_shrugging:

Might be traction control I can turn off, not sure.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say what I did was amazing. Not everyone that drinks and drives is an alcoholic. Most people don’t want to go to jail and lose their jobs. For any amount of time, let alone 90 days. That should deter most.

My wife’s childhood friend. They were born on the same day in the same hospital. She was an alcoholic that lived in Connecticut. Got caught 3 times by police. That means she must have driven drunk constantly. Got a year in jail, and 6 months rehab. Lost her job and got divorced. I think 10 years loss of license. She’s now sober and has a device to blow into in order to drive.

My only issue is, why did she still have a license after the second DWI? She is well off, so fines aren’t a deterrent to an alcoholic. It took 3 offenses for anything meaningful to take place.

Every vehicle has a traction control override, although exactly what that means differs by manufacturer.

Most high performance grand tourers (like the old Benz SL with a V12 twin turbo) give you a button to turn off the TCS, but it actually doesn’t completely turn it off. It just gives you more leeway before it engages. This is due to the extremely high torque those engines produce. You have to flash the ECM

On Nissan FM platform cars (like your Infiniti or a 350/370Z) turning it off means it’s completely off.

A lot of cars now have variable TCS settings. Like a current Mustang GT with the performance package. They give you three settings through the sport control functions, which is just three settings of TCS. Street where it is most aggressive. Track where it backs off a lot but it won’t let you totally spin out. And off where it’s completely off.

As a general rule, off road biased 4WD vehicles like trucks have it either on or off. And if you engage low range gearing it always turns it off.

As for abs, there are some cars where it can be disabled. Mostly performance cars optimized for track use.