After years of being shot up by white supremacists, Emmett Till memorial to be replaced with bulletproof version

Of course not. However, when you pose with guns in front of a shut up memorial to a lynched African American with guns, the photo is meant as a celebration of white privilege.

Is that a crime? Probably not, if it cannot be proved that they shot up the sign. But it is an act of intimidation and hatred.

Have any of the participants in the photo issued a statement.

1 Like

Which anyone ought to find reprehensible, even if it isn’t a crime.

Is that against the law to do that? How about a hunter posing in front of a deer crossing sign that has bullet holes in it? Should they be charged with something?

Some might see it that way other not. Again, what law did they violate?

Not sure. Just skimmed the article I read yesterday (how I know they got kicked out of their fraternity, university is taking no action, PD said nothing to charge them with, and some want the Feds to look into a hate crime charge.)

Now do you think they should be charged with a hate crime? Is it a slippery slope if they are charged?

Say someone defaced the 9/11 Memorial with a pro Jihadi message and a group of young Muslim men took a picture in front of it holding box cutters.

How do you think law enforcement would/should respond?

Bring them in for questioning, but if it was found they had nothing to do with the actual vandalism, they’d have to be released.

I don’t know why you are challenging me on the issue of whether this is a crime I said it probably wasn’t unless there was evidence they were the people who shot up the sign… vandalism?

I agree hate crimes are a slippery slope. Typically hate crime laws apply to violent acts and it seems odd to argue, for instance, that some murders are “hateful” while others are not.

The photo expresses a racist contempt for Emmett Till. Communicating a racist viewpoint is protected by the 1st Amendment… but that Amendment does not apply to the decisions of a fraternity or of potential future employers.

If I were an administrator in their school I might call for a forum to discuss; if I were a pastor of their church I would definitely think it is an appropriate topic for reflection and discussion.

Did the boys offer any explanation for this act?

Yes it did.

Yes it does. But liberals (and some conservatives) who get their feelings hurt by words and actions want to chip away at those protections. As this incident shows. Being refered to the Justice department as a hate crime is a perfect example of that.

No it doesn’t. As I mentioned (not sure of article in op does) their fraternity kicked them out. Any employer who googles them from here to eternity will probably find an article about it. Funny thing is, there kids could be the hardest, most dependable workers that could be hired . . . but some boss will look at the pictures and have an impression of them that – well you could say is racist in and of itself.

Why?? College kids are adults. If they get their poor little feelings hurt (how many on campus have seen or herd about this anyway) . . let them seek out the school counselor and talk it out.

Would make a good sermin.

Given the nature of the memorial, the bullet holes, and the fact the 3 are armed, I don’t believe it would be unreasonable to consider charging them with making a terroristic threat. Beyond simply being hateful, the message these kids were trying to send is one of intimidation.

Ya know I would normally agree.

But I think these yahoos went to Ole Miss.

That’s just another way of saying they were drunker then ■■■■■

It’s a fine institution of higher learning if you’re an alcoholic.

I don’t see any crimes here. These kids are really stupid though.

Seems to be situation. There’s no law against behaving like a racist ■■■■■■■

What’s racist about taking a picture in front of a sign?

Really? Intimidation? I would think there were more ways to be intimidating than a picture in front of a sign.

There is nothing at all for just “a sign”, which this clearly is not.

That’s being a punk and vandalism and a general (I can’t say the words here) but a big step away from terrorism.

so they just posed with next to it with guns for no reason.

What do you think the message they are sending to the black community is with this action? its a memorial to a black kid who was brutally murerded for being black and they are shooting it up.

that is straight up terrorism toward black community, telling them to shut up and no their place which is secondary to whites.

What do you think the local black community feel with they view that picture.
what do you think the local black community feel when they see that memorial full of bullet holes.

that is terrorizing the public, its strong message telling them to shut up and get to the back of the bus they are not equal.

Exactly.