Addressing the elephant in the womb

Of course it is.

That’s been the rationale behind all sorts of genocides throughout history.

The abortion genocide tops them all in magnitude.

Its also been the rationale to end those genocides. We dont make decisions to save or kill lives due to an arbitrary fact of being genetically human.

None of that is you deliberately killing another human life.

That’s what I asked.

Abortion is precisely someone deliberately killing a human life – for the expressed purpose of killing it.

Speak for yourself.

Absolutely it is.

We have made hundreds upon hundreds of deliberate decisions about ordering our society in ways that devalue individual human life.

None of that is YOU deliberately killing another human life.

You know what I’m saying. I’m not buying your dodging.

You already labelled “self defense” as a non genetic attribute. Do you think war is ever justified?

Speak for yourself

??

I did.

How you determine whether or not a human deserves to live is based on a philosophical ethic beyond the arbitrary fact that the being is genetically human. Otherwise, you couldnt make a claim about self defense or innocence as a driver of justification, since neither concepts are bound to human genetics. They are classifications of behavior, not classifications of DNA sequencing. Therefore, reducing the value of a human life to the arbitrary fact of being a human is not a complete description of the ethical question of how we apply meaning to lives that are not our own, and how we justify ending other’s lives.

Whether it’s me personally or not is irrelevant.

I don’t have the right lib filters to interpret that.

Of course it is.

Look, you abortion advocates keep telling everyone that it’s an individual decision, and blah blah blah…

But now suddenly you (and others in this thread) want to hide behind “We” language.

Abortion is an individual act. One individual decides to kill a human life.

I asked a specific question because abortion is a specific act.

Your continued dodging is noted.

It has nothing to do with politics

Find a post on here where I’m an abortion advocate.

I’m examining the assumptions behind the claim of “human life being of paramount importance” and finding it to be completely wanting.

Didn’t say your post did.

It’s the lib-speak I can’t cut through.

And you can be damned sure I have no interest in liberalism being any basis for assigning “value” to one life or another, so I’m not going to be able to cut through that either.

Every human life has value simply because it is a human life. If you open the door to “value” then you open it to any life – including your own.

We’ve already established you likely don’t believe this.

And of course “value” applies to my own life as well as any life.

How could it not?

Oh. You’re just anti-pro-life. :roll_eyes:

There is not an abortion discussion thread you’ve participated in where you have NOT argued against the pro-life position.

I’m being very careful not to say someone is pro-abortion because that makes for a nice deflection for abortion advocates. (Or maybe I should say “abortion RIGHTS advocates”.) I don’t care what you want to self-identify as. When you participate in a debate about abortion you push the discussion in a very clear direction, and that’s what I’m addressing.

And in that context, no matter what term you want to use, my statement applies.

There’s that “we” again.

No, they can’t legally make such a determination unless the law allows them to.