Activists are now coming after our beloved national anthem: "The Star Spangled Banner"is

At what point? When did it end?

You see where That might be taken personally…please see my previous post. I disagree about replacing the anthem…but just like we sing America before the anthem at Notre Dame games, maybe singing Lift Ev’ry Voice prior to the anthem is a good place to start. The Banner is our anthem…but it is not and does not have to be our only song…does it?

1 Like

Fair point. I made one similar in regards to Juneteenth being celebrated as a national holiday… Go look up that thread if you didn’t contribute/aren’t familiar. Hopefully some of the responses are just as infuriating

I got no problem at all with that. None at all. I wish we would. Replace Labor day. What the hell do we celebrate there anyway.

I leave on Thursday drive 8 hours to the cabin, fish for a couple of days drive back on Tuesday…for what.

Juneteenth would be celebrated as a day of peace, learning, and healing…beats labor day in my book.

And this is not me blowing smoke. This is me. I respect what you are saying. And understand why it’s important. Trust that.

Why is that, slavery ended over 140 years ago.

This was a song written about the struggle and desire to be free of bondage.

Kind of strange since it was written decades AFTER slavery ended.

The Star Spangled Banner is a lousy national anthem. For years, people have noted that its range of an octave and a fifth is no good for singing by the public. America the Beautiful has been suggested as a replacement long before BLM came about. (My Country 'Tis Of Thee has been rejected for other reasons.)

The national anthem isn’t the baby, its the bath water. I don’t think it’s worth fussing over to remove it. But I think that trumpeting Tradition or Heritage to keep it is to ignore that we have a heritage that includes traditions that need to change if they are to include all Americans.

“Black people should realize …” “Black people should remember …” are different ways to continue to ignore and minimize black America. Even if they are phrased “people should…”

2 Likes

I’m sorry you feel that way? I don’t share that opinion.

How about, “I’m Proud to Be an American”?

3 Likes

Bull…
Black people did not build this country all by themselves. You can try to rewrite history but your wrong. There were plenty of white hands that built this country.
Very few white people in the United States owned slaves. So here you are blaming the majority for what a minority of people did.
When are you going to recognize the contributions the white Americans made to this country?

An octave and a fifth is too large a range for singing by the public.

The barroom La Marseillaise in Cassablanca could never have happened with the Star Spangled Banner.

1 Like

Good thing no one here would ever do that! <cough…BLM>

Naaah…too xenophobic. Maybe “We are the World”?

1 Like

I’m nominating Power and Glory by Phil Ochs.

Cough. BML are terrorist and rank right up there with the KKK. But go on defending them.

3 Likes

What about Purple Haze?

1 Like

Personally I’m sick of the stupid ■■■■■■■ cancel culture.

5 Likes

It would be privilege not to. 7 months.

That could work, because it seems like there isn’t even a little black acknowledgement out there to be found. :man_shrugging:

And not the shortest month of the year.