Accidental Shooting on Set of Alec Baldwin on Movie Set

Regardless of how one feels about the actor or his political convictions, this is a sad story to hear. I hope Mr. Baldwin is OK. Condolences to the family of the photography director killed.

This sounds a bit like the 1993 accidental death of Brandon Lee during the filming of The Crow. Is anyone familiar with firearm safety of prop weapons used on movie sets?

1 Like

This is sad. Some prop person seriously ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  up.

I am not a fan of Baldwin but I donā€™t wish any sort of accident like this on anyone. He is going to carry this guilt for the rest of his life.

Let us also no forget that there are children without their mother. Let us not forget the death of Helyna Hutchins.

No one should have to die to make movies.

1 Like

Instead of using blanks, why donā€™t they add the effects during edits. That can be done easily with CGI.

There needs to be a full investigation before everyone simply declares and assumes this was just a tragic accident.

2 Likes

Sad situation. It reminds me of a similar accident that occurred when I was a kid and had a big impact on me at the time.

What happened to Jon-Erik Hexum?

The 26-year-old actor had been filming a scene on his own television show, CBS spy adventure Cover Up, where he played an undercover CIA agent posing as a male model.

Hexum grew increasingly frustrated with delays to filming the scene and began playing with the gun, spinning the barrel like a game of Russian roulette.

In what has been described as a tragic accident, the actor playfully spun the barrel, which had one bullet inside, and placed the gun to the temple of his head and pulled the trigger.

The gun discharged a wad of paper which shattered his skull, forcing a bone fragment the size of a small coin into the centre of his brain.

Gives me vibes of what happened to Brandon Lee.

2 Likes

that is sad. unless itā€™s a nerf gun, never put it against your head and pull a trigger. i donā€™t care how careful you are or how many times you check for ammo.

1 Like

Good idea. Any theories to counter the assumptions?

I donā€™t understand how that happens. Why would anyone ever load a gun on a movie set with live rounds ?

2 Likes

Donā€™t like his political stances or him as a person but its awful what happened to him.

ETA: just read the article and Alec accidentally fired the gun which hit two people, killing one. Still awful.

2 Likes

Have you ever watch the old show murder she wrote? this could be a perfect crime making to look like accident.

3 Likes

It takes a special kind of stupid to mistake a live round for a blank.

3 Likes

Precisely.

Yepp.

They need to investigate the prop handlers. Someone either wanted to cause this or they seriously ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  up and clearly werenā€™t qualified to be prop handlers.

They are the ones most at fault here, since actors and stuntmen explicitly trust that the prop handlers have properly prepared the weapons, especially if they are actual firearms and not imitations.

That said, Baldwin should have been practicing gun safety. Apparently this wasnā€™t during filming. Any real firearm should be treated as if it is loaded at all times. The only time he should have been pointing the gun at anything other than the ground was while filming a take. And even then, the prop handlers would be expected to clear the chamber, visually verify that only blanks were in the magazine or revolver cylinder (I believe this was a revolver, since the film is a western) and then recharging or reloading the weapon before filming. If nothing was being filmed, he should have had the gun holstered or being pointed at the ground.

A whole of stupid went into this tragic event.

2 Likes

unlikely it was a live round unless there has been an update Iā€™m not aware of.

This is not the first time a prop gun has malfunctioned and killed an actor or a crew member.

From the rumors I am hearingā€¦ if trueā€¦ it is baffling as to how this happened to begin with.

Safety on movie and TV sets are usually pretty poorā€¦ but this is beyond the pale.

I always assumed that they would have a competent shooter on set to ensure that everyone present is following the basic rules of gun safety if they are using real firearms.

Is that not the case?

Canā€™t vouch for the veracity of this (found on Twitter), but:

Well, the story is saying live round, soā€¦ :man_shrugging:

There is a licensed armorer on set whenever there is the handling of firearms. At least in NYC. I donā€™t know what the requirements are for New Mexico.

I am hearing rumors and I donā€™t want to spread them but if the rumors are true it is an act of negligence that is just beyond anything I can imagine.

I donā€™t want to imply that Baldwin is 100% to blameā€¦ but he also ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  up bad.