A serious discussion thread on the the comments made last night between our host and the president

Is that a label he has given himself? A journalists goes out and reports on events. Journalists go to other countries lots of times putting their lives on the line.

Sorry, but I don’t see that in this case. Commentators sit at a table talking with others, sometimes without the facts to back up what they say. Opinions.

Yes Hannity called himself an advocacy journalist so regardless of what you or anyone says, Hannity self identifies as a journalist and therefore the argument that he is a commentator is irrelevant.

Not all journalists put themselves in harms way or travel the globe. But to answer your point, Hannity travels the country, he went to Vietnam to report on Trump’s failure of a summit so he also meets your definition of a journalist.

Not sure why we keep getting the same questions over and over:

As recently as last summer, Hannity told a writer for The Times that he “[never claimed to be a journalist]” In one of our recent conversations, he offered a reappraisal: “I’m a journalist,” he told me. “But I’m an advocacy journalist, or an opinion journalist.” He went on, “I want to give my audiences the best shows possible.”

I guess it comes down to what an “advocacy journalist” or “opinion journalist” is versus “journalist.”

Interview piece with Hannity 2017-11-28 (and a surprisingly nice article about Hannity from NYT):

Big wow, he went to Vietnam, so did Cadet Bone Spurs. That doesn’t make him a journalist, still only a commentator.

And now this:

https://www.salon.com/2019/04/03/sean-hannity-gave-michael-cohen-advice-on-handling-old-trumps-mistresses-during-2016-race_partner/?fbclid=IwAR39wfRLbAcKKo3I8rI2lpxP4bl9kj0Wwmkp_dmb0bdmYUagYvqO_UOk6kQ

What does this mean…would it be unethical for a journalist to be involved in a campaign? What if Sean knew about any or all of the nefarious stuff that allegedly went on. What if his name comes up in the Mueller report? My guess is that even if we dont, we won’t know as it would be redacted.

I still feel this way, but here we have our host’s name being brought up in some serious manner regarding the June 9 meeting.

It is an odd entanglement for lack of a better word for it. Is this normal? Or are we actually seeing our host being caught up in this mess?

Again this is not a shot at Sean Hannity, but questions pertaining back to the OP of this thread.

I am surprised this thread has not got more traction.

I think it makes people nervous to post in it.

It’s been a while, but I have to ask. If under trial, manafort had a gag order, would not his conversations with our host be a violation of that order???

Quite honestly I am more concerned about Hannity’s involvement in this situation then in the Cohen situation. Does this not put our host in position to be an accomplice to the violation of this gag order.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/paul-manafort-sean-hannity-texts-court-docs

This is a concern not an attack.

I have heard Rush refer to himself as “America’s anchorman.” Mixed message?

I knew it

We have acquiesced? We have pundits on news networks presenting their opinions as news. Was that because we acquiesced or because the network news executives started doing business that way? Last time I checked, I have just about as much influence over who reads headlines on CNN as I do who reads headlines on my local TV station. Now if you mean people are still choosing to watch these networks despite this instead of turning off the TV when they’re presented with this “fake news” like they should be doing, then I can agree.

I guess it comes down to what an “advocacy journalist” or “opinion journalist” is versus “journalist.”

It’s pretty simple actually. A real journalist, often called an investigative journalist, presents news and lets the viewer form their own opinion on that news. The two options above present their opinion to the viewer as news. The two options above also make it crystal clear that they are not being objective in presenting their opinion. Usually.

Advocacy journalism is a genre of journalism that intentionally and transparently adopts a non-objective viewpoint, usually for some social or political purpose.

Opinion journalism is journalism that makes no claim of objectivity. Although distinguished from advocacy journalism in several ways, both forms feature a subjective viewpoint, usually with some social or political purpose. Common examples include newspaper columns, editorials, op-eds, editorial cartoons, and punditry.

Investigative journalism is a form of journalism in which reporters deeply investigate a single topic of interest, such as serious crimes, political corruption, or corporate wrongdoing. An investigative journalist may spend months or years researching and preparing a report.

2 Likes

Is it true that Trump was involved in a murder? oh, wow, had no idea.

Based on your definitions the MSM has no journalists or investigative journalists to speak of anymore.

They are rather propagandists for the dnc instead,

Does that include Fox News and Breitbart?

I never pay any attention to Breitbart . Some on fox i think well of and some are just as never Trump as the left wing news.

Hardly.

Old, tired, dumb spew based on nothing. Nobody’s buying that stuff with all the corruption the press revealed about Trump that Mueller confirmed. Facts matter. #factsmatter

“Journalists” rank some where below lawyers and used car salesmen for integrity these days.

Especially after Mueller blew their russian collusion conspiracy theories out of the water.

Real journalist are out there. There are no real journalist on the three news networks. But I doubt you’d agree.