A massive mastiff had to be rescued after getting exhausted on a mountain hike

Aww poor guy.

People just are so abysmally stupid sometimes.

I will never forget when I was in my early 20’s I worked for a vet. A man came in carrying his St. Bernard crying and begging us to save him.

He’d moved to South Florida from the North. His sister put him outside in the heat because she didn’t want to deal with the hair.

Of course the poor thing died. There was nothing we could do. The man was heartbroken.

I will never forget the gut wrenching pain and grief he showed while carrying this big dog, limp in his arms. He knew he was dead.

That will haunt me until the day I die.

I have a Curr that is a rescue from North Carolina. It took years to earn her trust. There isn’t anything I wouldn’t do for her and there isn’t anything she wouldn’t do for me. In the last years of her life, she has finally found trust, security and love.

That is what we do for our pets because we accepted being their stewards. They are not an accessory.

That’s the whole point. They cannot get enough to eat when they are being persistently pursued. The become exhausted.

The tweet embedded in the article said that the dog was injured. Agree that a mastiff is not an endurance dog. It’s the reason why, despite their size, they make pretty good “city dogs”, because they have low exercise requirements. You don’t see a lot of mastiffs used for search and rescue or high energy activities.
Here’s how a mastiff handles an agility course: Mastiff Competing At Dog Agility - YouTube