8 shot, 1 officer killed, 6 officers and 1 civilian wounded after shooting in

There were “good guys with guns” outnumbering the one bad guy with a gun - so how is it possible one good guy died and 6 other were wounded? I thought all we needed was “good guys with guns” to prevent mass shootings. Guess that’s not really the answer, no?

I guess we need to arm the entire country. But “good guy with gun” is a bit oxymoronic anyway. We don’t know who these people really are.

We do in this case - they were police officers.

I’m talking in general about the phrase.

Analyzing medical death rate data over an eight-year period, Johns Hopkins patient safety experts have calculated that more than 250,000 deaths per year are due to medical error in the U.S. Their figure, published May 3 in The BMJ , surpasses the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) third leading cause of death — respiratory disease, which kills close to 150,000 people per year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/340012002
The National Safety Council estimated automotive fatalities topped 40,000 for the second consecutive year.

Looks like we need comprehensive background checks on doctors and all automobile owners.

The honest reason why is because a good portion of those shootings all occur in a few areas. In those areas it really doesn’t make the news anymore. In most of the rest of the country shootings are relatively rare.
In my area a few weeks ago, someone shot at and injured a cop. It was in the news cycle for over a week. That wouldn’t even make the evening news in Chicago.

Well if that were true we’d have thousands of cops being shot to hell all over the country every year.

The fact we don’t shows it isn’t remotely true.

90% of unlawful shootings occur in the hundred most populous zip codes in the country.

A shooting in a small town that doesn’t average one a decade is “news” by any definition as it’s a shocking, unheard of, very rare event.

The CDC is including suicides and lawful homicides in that figure to skew the facts.

In the real world there were approximately 11,000 firearms related homicides in the US in 2016.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls

You can’t do anything to prevent suicides with gun control. Japan’s suicide rate is more than 5x that of the US and they have among the strictest gun control laws in the first and second worlds.

Of course, this is the same CDC that hid for over 20 years their own research showing in excess of 2 million lawful DGU’s occurring annually in the US so their bias is obvious.

They are the 110,000,000 law abiding gun owners that have you surrounded and aren’t committing crimes with their guns.

Cite your source stating that good guys with guns can prevent all mass shootings. Let me help you, it doesn’t exist.

What we know for a fact though is that the quicker these shooters can be engaged with gunfire the less the likelihood the death toll will rise above three and that the incidents will typically end in less than 1/4 of the time as compared to when they are given a free opportunity to shoot to their heart’s content.

In this case the shooter had an elevated and fortified position, long guns, and still was only able to kill one person. That’s a win every time.

Do you really not grasp the difference in a constitutionally protected right vs a privilege?

Oh, I see. You have personally checked the mental fitness of all 110,000. LOL. You must be a very busy retiree.

We know they aren’t committing crimes with the guns they lawfully own and possess and don’t need to know anything more about them unless and until they cease to be law abiding citizens.

What part of “law abiding” and “aren’t committing crimes with their guns” are you having trouble understanding?

Everyone is “law abiding” until they are not. I’d ask which part of that you don’t understand snarky one.

Yep.

Almost everyone in our country can buy a gun, make a decent plan, and kill pretty much anybody they want to. The only thing stopping them is the fear of going to jail or their own morals.

But we can be assured that WR has completely vetted all of these people. I mean, how else could he make such a declarative statement.

Don’t waste your time.

1 Like

So what are you proposing, that nobody be allowed to have a gun lest one day they decide to stop being law abiding? Are you not aware that prior restraint is unconstitutional?