540 days is the new 30 days in wisconsin

A judge has slapped down the Wisconsin election officials by letting them know 30 day in law means 30 days and they can’t just vote among themselfs to exend the deadline to 18 months.

When the Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty filed the complaint in October, it argued that state law requires the commission to remove from the active voting rolls voters who hadn’t responded to a recent mailing, made as part of a regular effort to update rolls, within 30 days.

“State agencies comprised of political appointees and unelected staff do not have the authority to invent or amend policy contrary to state law,” the institute’s president and general counsel, Rick Esenberg, said in a statement at the time.

The commission, however, said it was allowing voters to stay on the rolls through the spring of 2021 based on a June vote by the commission.

These notices go to people who have notified another government agency they have moved. Every two years, under Wisconsin law – notice is sent to the address on file with elections that if they don’t respond that they havn’t moved, they are removed (made ineligible) from voter rolls. I havn’t found the number of letters sent, but 234k of them were NOT returned and the wisconsin law says SHALL be made ineligible.

Upon receipt of reliable information that a registered elector has changed his or her residence to a location outside of the municipality, the municipal clerk or board of election commissioners shall notify the elector by mailing a notice by 1st class mail to the elector’s registration address stating the source of the information. All municipal departments and agencies receiving information that a registered elector has changed his or her residence shall notify the clerk or board of election commissioners. If the elector no longer resides in the municipality or fails to apply for continuation of registration within 30 days of the date the notice is mailed, the clerk or board of election commissioners shall change the elector’s registration from eligible to ineligible status. Upon receipt of reliable information that a registered elector has changed his or her residence within the municipality, the municipal clerk or board of election commissioners shall change the elector’s registration and mail the elector a notice of the change. This subsection does not restrict the right of an elector to challenge any registration under s. 6.325, 6.48, 6.925, 6.93, or 7.52 (5).

Judge has done the right thing. Election board can’t over ride state law. IF the law says 30 day, then after 30 days those people should be ineligible and have to re-register.

Link to CNN article (I love putting the liberal media links for the libs here, but the article is on multiple news sites.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/13/politics/wisconsin-judge-remove-voter-rolls/index.html

And here is the link to the Wisconsin law I’ve taken the appropriate section and quoted.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/6/II/36/1/ae

In my opinion, any election official who voted to ignore the 30 day requirment should be removed from the board. If they ignore that law, what other laws will they ignore or mis-interpret.

– On a side note, those who have been around a while will know this is nothing new for me. But I advocate that every 10 years ALL voter rolls are expunged with the census, and those who want to vote need to re-register every 10 years. Best way to keep voter rolls current, and accurate. I may even go further and support Wisconsins law of every two years sending notice to those that have changed their address with other government agencies. No respons, you are removed.

Do they have to send a letter letting them know that they’ve been removed, or do they just have to assume that the letter made it back to the government?

On a side note, it’s too bad the people of Wisconsin can’t change the constitution outside of the legislature. Here in Michigan we’ve been using that for decades to get around the Republicans and Democrats in the state legislature who only want to consolidate power for themselves.

They’re not allowed to have a say in their own State Constitution? No ballot proposals? :thinking:

No sure what your asking here.

The law I linked to gives the verbage of the letter that must be sent. It has a tear off post card that the person sends back in essentially saying “I haven’t moved, I’m still at this address”, or if I understand a couple articles I read on this they can fill out another part to re-register at their new address.

And as far as I can tell, it’s just assumed that the tear off makes it back to the government (and in the letter they are given an web address, and a phone number they can call and confirm/check their voter registration.)

Here in Utah, only the Legislature can propose changes to the state constitution. The legislature votes on the change THEN it must go to a vote of the people. Even if the legislature voted unanimous, if it doesn’t pass with the voters, it doesn’t happen. In Utah I’m not aware of any method of citizen petition to change the state constitution.

Voters only get to agree or disagree with proposed changes to their State’s Constitution? :thinking:

I’m just thinking of it getting lost in the mail and then being surprised on voting day.

Unlikely scenario, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Gotta love laws that take advantage of people’s inherent laziness to accomplish the ends they want to accomplish.

It works the other way too…oftentimes these laws can go the other way, where one has to actively withdraw from participating in something and if they don’t it’s assumed they will participate. I had that happen at my work, where they sent out a notice shortly after new management took over that stated unless you responded you were opting out, all management/employee disputes would be settled via arbitration. I’m sure part of the intent was to capitalize that employees get a lot of emails per day and this one would be missed by many of them.

In this case, however, the law is the law…will be interesting to see if this disproportionately affects Dems or GOP.

But even that doesn’t really matter because as the CNN article shows, on the back end Wisconsin has made it real easy to re-register if you have been removed from the polls.

And whether or not I believe such laws favor one party over another, it actually should be somewhat “hard” to vote…certainly we shouldn’t make it so you can vote without putting any active thought into it.

From what I read, Wisconson allows registration on election day at the polls if you get surprised.

If you read the law, the system they use also matches those who would be eligible to vote, with those on voter rolls (again every two years). If the system shows a person is eligible to vote, but not on voter rolls, they are sent a letter reminding them they can register to vote.

It’s an equitable system if you ask me.

Letter to those that might not be eligible (moved, died or that). Letter to those that might be eligible.

Ok, then this isn’t an a big deal. Republicans in Michigan have tried to make it more difficult to register to vote. Even after we passed same day voter registration, they made it so you have to go to two different places to vote if you want to register and vote.

Perhaps…my comments weren’t really about that.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/judge-orders-234000-purged-from-wisconsin-voter-rolls/ar-AAK6RkZ

Voters who haven’t voted in a certain amount of time get booted off the rolls.

234K were purged this way. Voters who are removed get notified and can re-register if they are still residents.

So far, 60,000 of the notifications have been returned as undeliverable, meaning they SHOULD be purged. Those voters are no longer at the address they registered from.

16,500 are registered at a new address (meaning the old registration SHOULD be purged.)

Only 2300 have responded saying, “Hey, I’m still here and want to remain registered.” (A 1% error rate in the purge effort.)

Perhaps the rest don’t care. (But ones who do can re-register online or in person – or even at the polls on voting day.)

More states need to do this.

1 Like

Voter rolls should be cleaned and maintained. Great care should be taken to ensure those removed are done so for the correct reasons.

I think there was a thread about this already, although your thread title did give an indication of what it was about.

Since they have same day registration, this isn’t a big deal. If they didn’t, this would be a problem.

2 Likes

I have no issue cleaning up voter rolls in off years, it become questionable when its does few month before an election.

2 Likes

Let me guess, every single one of them was black or Latino.

Voted dem the last time they voted would be correct reason.

Wisconsin has a Democratic governor and Republican (extremely gerrymandered) legislature. I assume this was done in a bipartisan way unlike what happened in Georgia in 2018.