50th Anniversary of Moon Landing

Shorter version from a CBS special- this one shows Cronkite’s and Schirra’s famous reactions when Eagle touches down.

I remember the climb down onto the moon exactly like what you all seen and heard in that video.

But the landing one with Cronkite I don’t remember, because I remember the split screen with landing modular and that video you posted didn’t have it.

But again we were no doubt turning channels between stations

For those that wasn’t born yet…there was no remote control. You order your kids to change channels. :wink:

Exactly.

I was my dad’s remote control (when I got older, that is).

I was 12 at the time too.

Watched on a crappy B/W tv but it was amazing.

This is what moon liked like or close to it the night of landing as my memory serves me correct.

As you can see that landing was just on edge of lighted portions.

It’s called waxing moon, that’s first stage after New moon.

A waning moon comes after a full moon.

I have memories of Alan Shephard’s sub-orbital launch. Growing up in the age of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs, I constructed plastic models of all manned space vehicles and the LEM, which hung from the ceiling of my bedroom. I used to sit in front of the TV and take notes on every launch and splashdown.

When Apollo 11 launched July 1969, I was between my junior and senior year of high school and was at summer camp in the Santa Cruz mountains. On the day Armstrong & Aldrin stepped foot on the moon, I remember all the kids gathering around a small black & white TV watching those first steps. (Just like the Kennedy assassination, you just can’t forget where you were)

I just finished my last semester of astronomy at the local community college. We were required to do a presentation, so I chose a brief history of NASA that included the origins and approval of the space program by Dwight Eisenhower. I reported on all the successes and tragedies of all programs concluding with the STS missions. What is bizarre is most of the kids in the class were unaware of the Mercury & Gemini programs. :flushed::flushed:

This week brings back so many memories and I’ve got to confess, I tear up every time I see a video clip.

It would be worth it to go back just for high definition IMO. :wink:

1 Like

That would have been great!

The photos were reasonably high definition.

The TV was not for a variety of reasons…mostly because TV wasn’t that good in those days and there were a ton of different standards.

I was in grade school. I sat in front of this giant piece of wooden-clad furniture that we called a TV, on a pillow on the floor with our hunting dog laying besides me. School was out and nothing else in the world, or space, mattered.

We had hoped, and prayed, that the crazy test pilots (astronauts) and the enormous group of engineers and scientists could pull this off. Nobody cared that they were white, predominantly married men, and that a smoky haze filled Mission control.
Back then, ■■■■ did not matter. Accomplishment did.

As a young boy, I hated that it took so long between landing and cracking the hatch and putting a boot on the moon. My parents must have let me stay up to watch it. I don’t remember that, but I remember seeing that America put an American on the Moon.

It was only later in my advanced education that I figured out that this was JFK’s version of RWR’s SDI. Pushing technology forward, to show the Soviets that they could not match our pace, innovation, and economic system that funded it all.

It was a welcome return to American Exceptionalism, from the 1968 Hippies, controlled by Yippies, rioting just south of us in Chicago.

Anyone who wishes to dispute “American Exceptionalism”, please cite other nations to land 'nauts on the moon and return them alive…

And as I told my kids to punctuate this achievement.
So, we Americans landed men on the moon, what do we do next? Our Astronauts walked around, well hell we can’t have that, we’re Americans; they need a car. So we sent a “car” to the “moon.”

Let that sink in: America sent a car to the moon.

America: We sent men to the moon, with cars, because we could!!, because America is exceptional. No emotional support iguanas, no pink hair, no gender wierdness, no blah, blah, blah.

There are exceptional American cars on the moon, right now.

There, I said it. Thank me very much.

1 Like

I agree.

Perhaps it’s because we’ve gone from being the leaders in space exploration to “hi, Russia, can we buy some space on your rocket?”

1 Like

American ingenuity at work.

Allan

We had a similar pause between the early 1970s and 1981 when the first space shuttle took off. We’ll see what happens with this next wave due to start in the 2020s…if it happens.

Manned exploration of space is super-expensive. We’ve had other things to spend our money on since then…

Yeah like super expensive wars.

Allan

1 Like

Wasn’t no cable either. The kids went outside and turned the antenna pole.

Well there was cable (not so much in the late 1960s but in the 1970s that I can remember there was more) but my parents never got it until I was in college). Hell we didn’t have a color TV until the 1980s. We actually went two whole years without a TV until my sister insisted we needed one to watch Diana and Charles get married (sigh). That’s when we got our first color television.

I used to remember being excited to visit my one aunt and uncle because they had the only color TV in my extended family.

I don’t watch much television anymore. I wonder if those two years without it left a mark on me. It must be hard to imagine for some folks, but once TV goes away, you can learn not to miss it.

Please check out the links below to check out Australia’s involvement:

Yeah, thanks I guess.

And don’t forget to thank Operation Paperclip.

What year was the landing?