3 Black U.S. Senators Introduce Bill to Make Lynching a Federal Hate Crime

I thought this was already a hate crime

Unless you are a certain Mississippi Senator. Then it’s just a fun way to spend an afternoon with your buddies.

3 Likes

How many have been lynched since 1968? Since 2000?

If it’s still an ongoing problem, then a bill like this is warranted. If not, this just seems to be pouring fuel onto a racial divide.

Another example of derangement.

This bill will help bring down lynchings in the United States.

Deranged would be sitting in Mississippi, a state with a long history of racially motivated public hangings, and joking about attending one.

1 Like

I don’t mind them passing this bill, as long as we view it as a symbolic gesture.

LONG TOO ******* LATE for such a bill to have any actual practical effect.

Lynchings are nearly non-existent at this time and the few that occur can be handled under existing laws.

Yeah… Black people wanting lynchings to be a hate crime is dividing the country on race not the actual lynching

1 Like

There is probably no overlap between people who would support this bill and people who think we should maintain confederate statues on government land.

And just after posting this question, I came across this article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/five-teens-indicted-on-lynching-charges-in-virginia-mob-murder/ar-BBQxd43?li=BBnbcA1

So some of the participants in the lynching from the article I posted were black, and the victim was not.

And the “lynching” they are being charged for was a gang-related shooting.

I wonder if that’s the sort of lynching the Senate bill is looking to address.

All lynching is bad. Glad I could clear that up.