25% of Renters in NYC Haven't Paid Since March

https://www.bloombergquint.com/businessweek/coronavirus-moves-nyc-affordable-housing-crisis-to-breaking-point

Two-thirds of New Yorkers rent their homes, making it America’s biggest rental market, and it’s always had its own crazy kind of housing math. But with unemployment soaring and the typical rent about twice the national average, the numbers no longer add up. A quarter of the city’s apartment renters haven’t paid since March, according to the Community Housing Improvement Program (CHIP), a group represents mostly landlords of rent-stabilized buildings

The silver lining here is that, as the article describes, NYC is now considered a ‘tenants market’. New York has suspended eviction processes to push back on the housing crisis, but landlords can still seek judgments against them for compensation.

So, with this in mind, should there be an extension for the $600 employment benefits? Are cities in other states facing the same problems? I’m trying to find the solution here, short of rent forgiveness or some sort of renter’s bailout for the landlord’s/tenants. Thoughts?

2 Likes

I was first here to call for direct money to the people and Weeks later it became reality.

With my powers I now call for $2,000 check sent to everyone.

This government ■■■■■■ this all up, give the people a refund.

2 Likes

Something has to be done. I’m not looking forward to another contraction of the economy in Aug/Sep

2 Likes

This is just the beginning.

Wait until the PPP money dries up and restaurants and small businesses start closing.

2 Likes

I couldn’t get the article for whatever reason, just the comments section. I’m just curious about one thing, do the landlords get mortgage relief?

As far as your question goes, I don’t see an easy solution. Maybe a slight uptick in rent until it is all paid off? That would be the least costly solution.

One of the landlord’s in the article - 40% of their tenants haven’t paid - is quoted as saying that the only people that can take a hit like that are private equity firms, and that ‘mom and pop’ landlords are in trouble.

I don’t get it? President Trump stopped flights from China and libs labeled him a racist and xenophobe, while DeBlasio and the NYC Health Commissioner all said the virus was no big deal. Get out an partaaaaaaaaaaay. What happened? Well…when it’s all done, I’m sure somehow they’ll still blame Trump and libs will gobble that up too along with Pelosi’s chocolate ice cream?

2 Likes

Not one poster has brought up his name yet. Not one. TDS much? :rofl:

3 Likes

No they didn’t

Anecdotally, it seems that stimulus checks make debt collectors more aggressive and less patient in their efforts to snatch it up before it gets spent on necessities–especially when they’re dealing with an elderly or otherwise vulnerable person.

Stimulus checks would be better than nothing, but I think robust aid programs that are specifically targeted at basic human needs would be the best.

…and especially for those like yourself who are now “chaning your tune”.

That is not why he called him a xenophobe

Oh yeah…I forgot…you’re a lib…and…it’s different.

After attacking Trump’s coronavirus-related China travel ban as xenophobic, Dems and media have changed tune

Oh…“mostly false”? IOW…it’s correct. :sunglasses:

No, it is not. He said Trump had a history of Xenophobia (he does), not that the travel ban was xenophobic

Biden tweeted: “We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency.”

Leaders all up and down failed on this response.

Now… how do we prevent a for real economic depression?

…fwaid not…amirite? :sunglasses:

Elect different leaders?

By November… probably will be too late